Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bwQuestion

Share a Workspace with an external user?

Hey All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but searches are bringing back wrong results.  My company is preparing several interactive reports that will need to be shared with several people in other groups outside of our company.

Our first idea was to create a Workspace for each company, put their reports in each workgroup and share the workgroup with the users of the company.  Seems simple enough but when attempting to add an external email address to the Workspace I get an error stating that the email is not part of the organization.  There is an admin setting for Dashboards and Reports, and it is turned on.  I do not see anything about a Workspace.

We are trying to avoid having to share individual reports to several different users in several different organizaitons daily.  We want to just share the Workspace to the users and then they should have access to all the reports in it from then on.  This seems like it should be very simple but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

Anyone have any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there External users can be added to App Workspaces.

Here are the details on how to achieve this. Make sure that you already have the users as Guest users in your Azure Active Directory

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#guest-users-who-can-edit-...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

bwQuestion

I am marking the first anser as correct because it does directly answer the question asked.

However, the best solution for what we were trying to do was to add the user as a guest in AzureAD and then give the user permission in the App instead of the Workspace, which was not obvious with my lack of knowlege on how this platform works.  I was able to confirm that the end user in the other business was able to view the App in their PowerBI workspace and see the reports as needed without haveing to share each report individually.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bwQuestion

I am marking the first anser as correct because it does directly answer the question asked.

However, the best solution for what we were trying to do was to add the user as a guest in AzureAD and then give the user permission in the App instead of the Workspace, which was not obvious with my lack of knowlege on how this platform works.  I was able to confirm that the end user in the other business was able to view the App in their PowerBI workspace and see the reports as needed without haveing to share each report individually.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there External users can be added to App Workspaces.

Here are the details on how to achieve this. Make sure that you already have the users as Guest users in your Azure Active Directory

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#guest-users-who-can-edit-...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for you reply.  I will look into this in the morning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors