Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Share Report

I have Power Bi Pro licence. I have created report and uploaded to my workspace. shared report colleague in same organisation but msg comes up saying he needs Power BI Pro licence. I created dashbaord and shared that but still same msg. Do I need to create report outside my workspace? has anyone got similar problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When you are working with only pro licences, then Free licence only work for personal use. It helps users to try PowerBi Service, practice, train, etc. 

The ONLY way a free user can actually view a report build by another user is when the organization pays for a Premium Capacity license. The license is activated for a Workspace. Then the reports on that workspace that are published as a PowerBi App can be viewed by free users. That's the only scenario  in which a free users can view reports shared.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
muxingyuang
Frequent Visitor

free license is only for personal use, build and consume within same user.

when share to others happens, then all the users sharing or consuming should be Pro license, that is $13.70 * number of users = per month cost to the company;

or $6858.10 per month cost to the company, as company's Premium Per Capacity License.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for your quick reply. I will call IT department and update other user with similar issue. 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Just to clarify. The workspaces are places to build and collaborate reports and dashboards. They are usually the best practice to build something for a company because it can have more than one owner and are saved at organizational level. Your "My workspace" is attached with your account.

Now regarding the issue. Reading your description it looks like the user you are sharing with doesn't have a PRO account. The pro accounts are for users that share and are shared. Both must have pro accounts.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

When Pro licence is allocated to colleague, he can view the report. Does everyone in organisation requires Pro Licence? How does free licence work? I thought with free licences, you can view the report and can't edit.  

When you are working with only pro licences, then Free licence only work for personal use. It helps users to try PowerBi Service, practice, train, etc. 

The ONLY way a free user can actually view a report build by another user is when the organization pays for a Premium Capacity license. The license is activated for a Workspace. Then the reports on that workspace that are published as a PowerBi App can be viewed by free users. That's the only scenario  in which a free users can view reports shared.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors