cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julian

Share Report with OAuth2 Dataset

Dear Power BI Community,

I recently created a report that will get some data from a SharePoint Online list and an Azure database.

As I want to share this reports with some of my colleagues, I added the report to a previously created Office 365 Group (Workspace in Power BI).

As my colleagues are Owner of the groups, they can see the report and the dataset (which I think is cool and does exactly fit my needs).

However, if they try to manually refresh the dataset, they will receive an error. It’s not possible to refresh the dataset, as my credentials where used for the connection to the SharePoint Online list. (I was using a service account for the connection to the Azure database and this is working fine).

For them all the credentials area is greyed out and they get notified, that this dataset has been configured by me, including the option to take over the settings.

If they take over the settings, they can add their credentials for the connection to SharePoint Online - however then I am not able to refresh the dataset anymore...

What would be the right approach to fix this issue? Using a service account for the connection to SharePoint Online or Windows Authentication (is this even possible with SPO?) instead?

Thank you for your help and kind regards

Julian

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Julian,

>>However, if they try to manually refresh the dataset, they will receive an error.

I'm not very clear your requirement, current power bi only allow the owner to manually operate this file. If you want to manually operate this file, you can take over it.

>>What would be the right approach to fix this issue? Using a service account for the connection to SharePoint Online or Windows Authentication (is this even possible with SPO?) instead?

Even if you change to other way to connect the datasource, it still only allow one owner to operate.(take over this file)

For your requirement, you can post your requirement to ideas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 23 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, June 30 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors