Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

acanepa
Resolver I
Resolver I

Share Dataset across workspaces

Hello,

I have a report that holds core data and I want to consume that information from other workspaces. Let's says that the report is in Workspace A and I want to push the data to Workspace B.

The idea is to have a central and curated data sources that I and other analysts could use.

The idea is to avoid to replicate the report for the argument mentioned above but also because the data model is quite big, it takes around 1 hour to load. So with one load per day is enough.

I have a report that only I can publish into Workspace A but I want to publish in Workspace B consuming the mentioned report.

I tried to create a content pack sharing access of Workspace A - the dataset I need - to Workspace B, but it doesn't appear in the list of shared content packs.

The connection I want to achieve is something similar to PowerBI Service Live Connection

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @acanepa,

Nope, if your datasource is get from power bi service reports, you can only publish to same workspace.

Reference link:

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Limitations and considerations

When using the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop.
  • Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection. Users can (and often do) belong to more than one workspace.
  • Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • When selecting which dataset to connect to in the Power BI service, the search box only applies to workspaces that have been expanded.
  • If you modify the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten.
  • You cannot replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.
  • If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) will no longer work properly or display their visuals.
  • For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.
  • For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you cannot replace the report created on the service and/or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.
  • When you create a report based on dataset using a live connection to the Power BI service, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.
  • Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means you can no longer access that dataset from Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mmahachi
Advocate I
Advocate I

There was an update in June but it is still not working for me I meet all the conditions/limitations in this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-admin-across-workspaces but when I go to publish to a different workspace it says it cannot and I need to contact that dataet owner, which is me. Any advice on how to get this to work? 

I've of course enabled the tenant level setting. Is there anything else on either the dataset pbix or the report pbix that needs to be set? 

I have the same problem I guess. I have one report based on a dataset in workspace A and then I created a new report based on the same dataset it isnt possibly to publish the report to another workspace. Workspace B. Why?

I have the 2 different workspaces due to that it is different persons reading.

Please guide.

robstewart89
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I know this is marked as Solved and unavailable but did you find any workaround for this? I'm facing the same problem

Hi @robstewart89,

I ended up using PowerBI live connection, mainly because I couldn't find other solution and it works pretty well with Row Level Security. That comes with the downsize that PowerBI Live Connection is the only data you could load in a PowerBI workbook.

Regards,

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @acanepa,

Nope, if your datasource is get from power bi service reports, you can only publish to same workspace.

Reference link:

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Limitations and considerations

When using the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop.
  • Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection. Users can (and often do) belong to more than one workspace.
  • Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • When selecting which dataset to connect to in the Power BI service, the search box only applies to workspaces that have been expanded.
  • If you modify the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten.
  • You cannot replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.
  • If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) will no longer work properly or display their visuals.
  • For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.
  • For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you cannot replace the report created on the service and/or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.
  • When you create a report based on dataset using a live connection to the Power BI service, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.
  • Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means you can no longer access that dataset from Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft

Is this still the case?

Best,

Delia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors