Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Share Dashboard outside domains - info

I thought I would report in on the final result of a formal trouble ticket I had opened with MS in regard to sharing dashboards with outside domains.  Just to be clear: the trouble ticket specifically involved the email notification of a share - and not the ultimate viewing of the dashboard; I add this because there is the issue of 'Pro Content' definition in viewing rights.

The key issue began in that my domain was not receiving share emails from others sharing a dashboard with me - and - the share emails I generated were not being received by others.  I checked spam filters, black listing, etc - no reason I could find.

At first this included shares within my own domain - no email being received.  A week or so into the trouble ticket - this began to work. So intra domain emails was solved without explanation.  It may be related but during this same interval I moved from the free PBI Service to formally signing up for the Pro service and paying my monthly fee. 

The final word from MS was that recipients must be signed up with Power BI.  It's really that simple.  It is widely known that one cannot send to public domains, and not known (by me at least) of private domains recipients needing to be signed up with PBI.  The user interface gave the standard 'warning is outside domain' but then followed with a 'success' message as part of the dashboard share send experience - so this aspect of the UI is a bit misleading.  At least a label/note on this point would be a good idea in the UI.

The trouble ticket took a month to resolve, with 5+ Q&As traded, which I only mention, not in complaint, but that it leads me to believe that this point isn't clearly/widely known - as one would have thought this point would have been at the top of the check list.  So FYI to all on this topic.

www.CahabaData.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Will finish this off just for those that might read this string; the same time that I first posted - by coincidence - Microsoft announced that Dashboard Sharing feature would be among Pro licenses only.  I believe this ties to this issue in that I was trialing to other domains without licenses. 

www.CahabaData.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CahabaData,

Thanks for your sharing.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Will finish this off just for those that might read this string; the same time that I first posted - by coincidence - Microsoft announced that Dashboard Sharing feature would be among Pro licenses only.  I believe this ties to this issue in that I was trialing to other domains without licenses. 

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors