Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Share Dashboard and add users to app workspace. Whats the difference?

Im only just starting to get head round sharing dashboards, user groups etc.

On one hand. You can se up an App workspace and add users to the workspace who can then access dashboards etc in that workspace

But when you are looking at a dashboard you can also Share dashboard.

The Person who can then access the dashboard can then see the underlying reports but is not a member of the app workspace.

Whats the difference between the two and why would you use one over the other?

Thanks in advance

Debbie

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@DebbieE There are several ways you can share objects.

Dashboards - these give users access to the reports tied to the dashboards - as you describe

Reports - Probably the most used option at this point from my experiance

Apps - These are 1 to 1 relationships with workspaces. You can share many different reports and dashboards at one time from the workspace, this is also well used.

The different ways are designed to give you flexibility.

In general, users should only be directly added to the workspace if they are report authors. End users who are just consuming reports should have them shared so that they show up in the "Shared with Me" section, or as an App.

Hope that helps.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi DebbieE,

Difference is that when you share a dashboard, user can only view the dashboard and related report(you can also let them reshare the dashboard), when you add users to an app workspace(or new app workspace), you can give them permissions to edit the report so that tehy can work with you.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi DebbieE,

Difference is that when you share a dashboard, user can only view the dashboard and related report(you can also let them reshare the dashboard), when you add users to an app workspace(or new app workspace), you can give them permissions to edit the report so that tehy can work with you.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thank you so much

Both of these were exactly what I was looking for. 

Debbie

@DebbieE There are several ways you can share objects.

Dashboards - these give users access to the reports tied to the dashboards - as you describe

Reports - Probably the most used option at this point from my experiance

Apps - These are 1 to 1 relationships with workspaces. You can share many different reports and dashboards at one time from the workspace, this is also well used.

The different ways are designed to give you flexibility.

In general, users should only be directly added to the workspace if they are report authors. End users who are just consuming reports should have them shared so that they show up in the "Shared with Me" section, or as an App.

Hope that helps.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors