Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mtstewart17
Frequent Visitor

Shape Map Not Works in Desktop but not Online

Hello,

I have a Power BI dashboard with a shape map that has been published and working fine for over a month. All of a sudden this week it stopped working on Power BI Service. It still shows up perfectly for me on desktop, but when I publish it appears completely different.

I have tried accessing it in different browsers and that does not help. I have also tried changing the Data Category for the location field and that has not helped either. 

Working map and broken map: 

Working Map.PNG

Broken Map.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We have our Location field in the map using a field that combines CITY, STATE COUNTRY.
These maps ceased to work with the June release.

We were able to correct this by selecting our CITY, STATE COUNTRY field, and then in the Modeling tab changing the Data Category to PLACE.

This is the only method we have had success with the new (as of June release) maps. The MS documentation showing Country & postal code hierarchy has not worked for us. It confuses citys with Countries and vice versa at least a third of the time.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mtstewart17
Frequent Visitor

Looks like this issue is happening for many people. I know there was a recent Office 365 update this week, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I have opened a ticket and will let everyone know if they figure it out. 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mtstewart17,

I was not able to reproduce your issue in my environment.

Desktop

1.PNG

Service

2.PNG

I have tested this scenario using Latitude/Longitude and Location in map visual, it works well in both desktop and service. If possible, please try adding Latitude/Longitude in your map visual to see whether all points can be recognized after publishing to service. Not sure whether this issue is related to data, if possible, please share some sample data you used so that I can test for you.

Besides, I would suggest you create a support ticket so that you could get more help to fix your problem.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I checked and I have a separate map that uses Lat/Long and that still works correctly, so it seems to be an issue with other types of data. Unfortunately Lat/Long is not available for this data set (or most data sets I map with). 

I have raised a ticket on this and they say engineers are working on it, however nothing has come through since Friday. I will let you know of any updates.

Good afternoon.

I join the group of not working maps.

Looking forward to receiving good news ...

I received this off the support team today; should be resolved by EOD

Hello Simon Davies,

Hope you are doing well,

As per the update from our product team this is a known issue and the team is working on this and by the end of Jun 13, this should be resolved,

I will keep you posted once the fix is released.

Best Regards, 

Ashok Reddy

Engineer - Microsoft Business Intelligence

Time Zone:  UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)

Hours: 9:30 AM – 6:30 PM

Email: v-asthon@microsoft.com

great news thanks for the update @simonpdavies92 had this as well I suspected a bug

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unchanged-report-works-in-2-46-4732-581-broken-in-latest-rel...

a workaround for me was setting the Data Categorization on my Location field to "Uncategorized"

Hello,

I have managed to understand the issue now. 

I was working with data which originally stated (London, UK) which worked fine. The reason I added UK to the end was to dinstinguish between JERSEY,UK and JERSEY USA etc. However with the recent change Power BI is trying to create a heirarchy and hence wont be able to plot data with what it sees as two variables.

They have informed me to do the following.

Hi Simon Davies,

Please find the below resolution for issue,

Most likely this customer will have to change their report slightly now. I’m guessing they were using string-concatentation to combine country and zip code or similar. Now they need to create a hierarchy by dragging both Country and Zip fields into the Location bucket and Drill Down via Hierarchy (fork icon) to query with country and zip.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks All

Simon

We have our Location field in the map using a field that combines CITY, STATE COUNTRY.
These maps ceased to work with the June release.

We were able to correct this by selecting our CITY, STATE COUNTRY field, and then in the Modeling tab changing the Data Category to PLACE.

This is the only method we have had success with the new (as of June release) maps. The MS documentation showing Country & postal code hierarchy has not worked for us. It confuses citys with Countries and vice versa at least a third of the time.

I had the exact same thing with City, State, Country and this solution worked for me. It sounds like changing the Data Category field can help Bing maps plot the point correctly.

Hi Yuliana, I can't access my data till Monday, but can advise that City & Address data types don't work via the Singapore Power BI service. I don't have lat & long data for the dataset. From this thread and my own experience, it is obvious that something has changed in the background as our maps worked a week ago and now the same maps don't.

Hello,

I am having the same issue with this, my Map of UK counties works in desktop however when I publish this it does not work any creates a blank map. This is a key part of my dashboard and would appreciate if this is adressed. I have changed my data several times and still nothing works. The exact same hyperlink worked merely a week ago.

Thanks

Simon

TonyGaul
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yes I am experiencing the same issue with the built in map visual - works in Desktop not Power BI service.  I have noticed this playing up for a couple of days now.  I have tried different browsers and data types, but it's not working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed this thread after creating my own.  I've got a similar problem however i'm using the Filled Map instead.  Wonder if its a larger problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors