Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CSlaughterbeck
Frequent Visitor

Setting value of a sync slicer when clicking back into the report from a dashboard tile

I have a fairly long report (22 pages) that has a sync slicer on the landing page of the report to filter the data for the other 21 pages of the report.  It works very well as far as reports go.

With that many pages (multiplied by another dozen options on the sync slicer), you can easily imagine that it's too much data for anyone to look over continuously and I am in the process of trying to construct a dashboard which will summarize the most important parts and put them all into a single place.

I've had no problems in selecting a value of the sync slicer and pinning a relevant tile into the dashboard. I can then change the sync slicer and pin another tile in and that seems to work as well (I haven't gone through a data refresh cycle yet, but it seems to work at first glance).

The problem is that when I click on the dashboard tile to open up the relevant section of the report to get more information, the sync slicer value is either persistent based on whatever value I last used in the report or is set to the default value if I turn off persistent syncing as an option.  In either case, it's not the right value for the sync slicer for that page of the report.  Is there a way to get the report to open with the correct value of the sync slicer set?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RandyPgh
Resolver III
Resolver III

Although dashboard tiles can store filtered visuals, the filters don't translate back to the report when you click through the tile. I just tested with a cross-filtered visual, and it links back to the original report. Your best option might be to investigate the URL parameters that can be used for reports, and set the dashboard tile to have a custom URL. It's not as disconnected of a solution as you would like, but it could work. Otherwise, it's a point of end-user training.

URL Parameters for reports: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

Custom URL for tile: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dashboard-edit-tile

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Did the first reply solved your issue?

If so, please mark it as a solution for others to see.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Giotto

RandyPgh
Resolver III
Resolver III

Although dashboard tiles can store filtered visuals, the filters don't translate back to the report when you click through the tile. I just tested with a cross-filtered visual, and it links back to the original report. Your best option might be to investigate the URL parameters that can be used for reports, and set the dashboard tile to have a custom URL. It's not as disconnected of a solution as you would like, but it could work. Otherwise, it's a point of end-user training.

URL Parameters for reports: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

Custom URL for tile: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dashboard-edit-tile

Using URL filtering is only a partial solution for this problem.  I can use URL filtering to set the correct filter on the page, but it doesn't clear the value of the sync slicer on my landing page.  The net result is that I get no data on that page as it's been double filtered - once by the sync slicer and once by the URL filter and the filters are mutually exclusive in terms of the data they will leave in the report.

My sync slicer is set up to require a single value as a selection, but if I drop this requirement and publish it with no value selected and turn off persistent filtering on the report, then the URL filtering will work.  It's not ideal as opening up the sync slicer to select more than one value has other implications, but I can probably live with those.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors