Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WATYF
Helper II
Helper II

Setting up user who can create reports/dashboards but not edit datasets...

Is there a way to setup a user who can create reports (from datasets) and create and share dashboards, but not make any changes to datasets or to any existing reports/dashboards that they didn't create?

Currently, the only way I know to allow users to create reports is to add them to the admin group, which gives them full access to everything, including existing datasets/reports/etc. It also bypasses any RLS. I'm looking for a way to create a user who is limited by RLS but can also create reports off of existing datasets without being able to modify anything existing objects.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Way to achieve this is 

Create a Workspace A whare your datamodel is available - you can set RLS here.

Create a Workspace B and give Contributor access to the person whom you would like to author the reports. This person can use the Shared Dataset from Workspace A and publish / edit the reports in Workspace B. He doesn't have to touch the underlying datamodel in Workspace A.

You can also go through the blog post below for more info : 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Protect-a-Dataset-from-Deletion/ba-p/818685

Thanks,

Nishanth.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Way to achieve this is 

Create a Workspace A whare your datamodel is available - you can set RLS here.

Create a Workspace B and give Contributor access to the person whom you would like to author the reports. This person can use the Shared Dataset from Workspace A and publish / edit the reports in Workspace B. He doesn't have to touch the underlying datamodel in Workspace A.

You can also go through the blog post below for more info : 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Protect-a-Dataset-from-Deletion/ba-p/818685

Thanks,

Nishanth.

OK, it looks like this is going to work. I had to upgrade my workspace first (since I was still using the classic workspaces), but once I did that, I was able to create a Report in the "Contributor" workspace that was based off of a Dataset in my main workspace and the user could only create reports from that Dataset without modifying or deleting the main Dataset.

Edit: I should add that in order for this to work, you have to go to each Dataset in the "source" Workspace and grant this "Contributor" access to that dataset (using "Manage Permissions"), and make sure you check the box that grants them "build" access when you do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors