cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OscarIvanCampos Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Setting up a new data source in on-premise gateway (Folders within a internal network)

Hi all,

We are currently setting up the on-premise gateway in our organization. I have managed to set up the connection to our SQL server. But I am just having issues when attending to set up a data source type "Folder". 

I got the following error message:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to. Details"We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster.  

Has anyone encountered and solved this issue in the past? Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thank you, Oscar

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Setting up a new data source in on-premise gateway (Folders within a internal network)

Yes I would make sure that the Service Account has got access to that folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"

Power BI Blog
Frequent Visitor

Re: Setting up a new data source in on-premise gateway (Folders within a internal network)

Hi Gilbert,

Thanks for your help and support. All your suggestions actually help me to sort this out. 

Another additional step I did was to set up the UNC path as below:

\\name-of-server\share-name\folder\file

Instead of 

H:\0. Data Collection

Sorry for the late reply. 

Btw, I have attended one of your presentations on Power Bi and it was pretty good. Well done on sharing your knowledge.  

Oscar 

21 REPLIES 21
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would be that the folder you are specifying does not exist on the Gateway Server.

For example if the folder is stored on your PC in C:\Intel

The Gateway Server is a different physical machine and does not have the folder C:\Intel

You would need to share the folder and then use the Folder Share Name to connect to it.

Power BI Blog
Frequent Visitor

Hi Gilbert, 

Thanks for your replay and help with this.

The folder actually exits on the server where the gateway has been installed. And the path works if I copy and paste it in any new folder. So, opened the location where the data is. 

What else could be happening? 

Thanks, Oscar

Super User
Super User

Hi there

Does the account that the Power BI Service uses for authentication to the folder have access to the folder?

Power BI Blog
Frequent Visitor

Yes, it does. 

Super User
Super User

From the error, it would appear that it does not, if you could possibly enable the verbose logging in the data gateway to see where the error is coming from.

Power BI Blog
Frequent Visitor

How can I do that? 

Super User
Super User

Hi there

here is a link explaining how to do it.

It is also on the gateway under Diagnostics and then "Additional Logging"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

Power BI Blog
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Gilbert for your help and support so far. 

I have configurated the verbose logging. I also followed the steps in the link provided, but I did not find this file Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe.config  in the C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway path. 

Super User
Super User

Hi there

Double check if you have enabled the option to show system files, maybe it is hidden?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 271 members 2,990 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: