Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting up XMLA datasource for Paginated Report

I am very excited to try out the new feature of connecting to a powerbi XMLA endpoint via ssrs.  I downloaded the new gui and was able to create a simple report connecting to my powerbi model.  I'm having trouble getting it working on the pbi service.  I uploaded the rdl and when i goto view it i get an error mentioning that i need to setup a datasource on the gateway.  But when i goto create an  Analysis server datasource it says 

"The connection to the Analysis Services instance timed out or was lost..."

I have updated my on prem gateway to the latest but still have the same issue.  Has anyone been able to get this to work?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi XLBob,

Thanks for the screen capture. That error is since Paginated Report support for XMLA / premium-dataset was not available then. It is currently being rolled out in production and will be available in next couple of days. Support for including Paginated Reports in Apps was rolled out late last week. Please give it a try now and let us know if you run into any issues. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rpatkar
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

hi 4eyed,

The error message asking you to setup a datasource on gateway looks misleading. Paginated Report  (RDL) support for XMLA endpoint is currently being rolled out in production. Please give it a try in couple of days. Thanks!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Can you please provide some detail error messages and gateway logs to help us trace this issue?

BTW, have you enabled 'user mapping' feature on this datasource?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I used the new Power BI Report Builder to connect to my Cloud Power BI data set and created a simple report.  But when I upload the RDL file to the service, I got below error.

RDL upload failure.JPG

I then tried SQL server report builder but it doesn't allow me to connect to my Cloud Power BI data set. Instead I connected to a local SQL server and I successfully uploaded the rdl file. However, I can't include it in App as the toggle is greyed out. My workspace is in premium capacity.

RDL to App.JPG

Any clues?

hi XLBob,

Thanks for the screen capture. That error is since Paginated Report support for XMLA / premium-dataset was not available then. It is currently being rolled out in production and will be available in next couple of days. Support for including Paginated Reports in Apps was rolled out late last week. Please give it a try now and let us know if you run into any issues. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors