Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhoyt
Regular Visitor

Setting Custom URL on Dashboard Tiles

I used to be able to edit the properties of a tile or pinned report in the dashboard section and paste a custom URL.  This was handy because if I had a graph for instance, I might want to have the user navigate to a more detailed report if they clicked on it in the dashboard.  Did this feature go away/move or am I just not seeing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually, it's back to working/looking the way it used to so I guess it's "fixed".  I use that term loosely as this is the same type of behavior that occurred when my users lost their ability to use the ellipsis to export data to Excel...it came back on its own the next week.  This is leading me to believe that I have some sort of environmental issue here within my world.   You probably noticed on my last screen shots that I didn't even have a scroll bar and the Content box was missing too.  Perhaps there is some incongruity on rendering the page in the browser (?).  We have had some funkiness in our web filtering software in the past so maybe it's something to do with that.  In any event, thanks for sticking with this.  I appreciate the effort.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jhoyt I still have that option for the pinned tile but for pinned live report it is greyed out.

Capture.PNG

I no longer have the option even for tiles for which I previously had set the URL.  It still navigates as it used to but the option is gone even if I wanted to change it.  I don't use live reports on my dashboards as a rule...just individual graphs and other exhibits.

@jhoyt

I have tested it on my side, and I still have the option for the tiles on my dashboard. The option only disappears when we don't have edit permission on the dashboard like below.

edit.PNG

tile.PNG

So please go and check if you still have edit permission on the dashboard. In addition, if you are connecting to a content pack, you will not have edit permission on the dashboards within that content pack(even when you are the creator of that content pack).

Regards

I do have edit permission on the tile.  I created the report and dashboard myself.   It looks like this:

Tile URL.jpg

My URL still works as you can see from the upper screen shot.  However, I no longer see the option to change it.    Am I missing / not seeing something?  

@jhoyt

From the picture you provided above, I see you're editing the custom URL for a textbox on dashboard. The option for setting custom URL for textbox is a little different from other dashboard tiles, you need to click the Insert link button on the right bottom of Fill in the details menu bar like below.

cl.PNG

Regards

OK, so this is getting bizarre.  Now my tile edit looks like below.  I can't even see the "content" now.  Is there a setting in IE or Chrome that could be causing this?  I had a number of users last week lose their ellipsis to export data too while in IE (worked in Chrome though) and then it came back 2 days later.  Maybe I'm experiencing more of an issue in environment vs. a problem in PowerBI?

tile url2.jpg

Also, I don't recall the link you describe below being how I did this originally.  Has it always been like this and I'm losing my mind (which is possible).

Hi @jhoyt,

Is it possible for you to recreate the textbox with custom URL on your dashboard? 

Regards

No, same thing...no option to add the URL.  Same if I create a brand new dashboard.

Hi @jhoyt,

By default, area above Functionality(with custom URL setting options) is shown on the page, could you go and scroll down the bar to double check the whole page.

tile.PNG

Regards

Actually, it's back to working/looking the way it used to so I guess it's "fixed".  I use that term loosely as this is the same type of behavior that occurred when my users lost their ability to use the ellipsis to export data to Excel...it came back on its own the next week.  This is leading me to believe that I have some sort of environmental issue here within my world.   You probably noticed on my last screen shots that I didn't even have a scroll bar and the Content box was missing too.  Perhaps there is some incongruity on rendering the page in the browser (?).  We have had some funkiness in our web filtering software in the past so maybe it's something to do with that.  In any event, thanks for sticking with this.  I appreciate the effort.

Hi @jhoyt,

Great to hear the problem got resolved.Smiley Happy Could you accept your last reply as solution to close this thread?

Regards

I found that Links (in a textbox) do not work from desktop,   You have to publish the report and then they work only in the published version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors