Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

matDutch
Frequent Visitor

Set up Shared dataset permission errors

Hi all,

We are rolling out shared datasets within our organisation. All our workspaces are created via the new workspace experience. Workspace 1 contains the dataset and Workspace 2 contains the report. We have published Workspace 2 as a Workspace App in order to share the report to multiple users via AD groups. 

We have configured the following permisisions: 

- In tenant settings: Use datasets across workspaces for the entire organization = Enabled

- Workspace A dataset:

[Test1] Direct Access: build permission 

Workspace Access: Viewer 

[Test2] Direct Access: build permission 

Workspace Access: not added

- Workspace B report: viewer 

We get below errors: 

"Permission required: you cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset. Please contact the dataset owner to request access". & 

"Something went wrong Unable to load the model"

How do i set this permission correctly so end users doesnt need the contributer role? Currently our endusers has the contributer role because this is the only way for them to see data, but ofcourse this is not the ideal situation.  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
matDutch
Frequent Visitor

I've found a solution and that is to implement RLS. 😉 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
matDutch
Frequent Visitor

I've found a solution and that is to implement RLS. 😉 

npergand
Helper I
Helper I

I think this may be a dataset permission issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-across-workspaces#considerat...

The first and last bullet specify that you the user accessing the dataset will need at least Read access to the dataset.

You may need to go to the dataset and assign Read permissions to the users you want to grant access to.

Hi @npergand ,

I've also tested that scenario, 

This is the settings for workspace 1 (dataset)

the 3rd user has Read, build and reshare access

matDutch_0-1637261848130.png

and this is the Access settings in the workspace the same users is assigned the viewer role

matDutch_1-1637262012475.png

This confuses me, as I haven't been able to reproduce your issue.

We have the same tenant setting enabled.

• I created a dataset in workspace A (did not grant the end user X access to it).
  • created a report using the "Power BI datasets" connector and published to workspace B (did not grant the end user X access to the workspace)
  • created an App from workspace B with the report in it. Granted the end user X access to it.

When end user X gets the App, he received the first error you stated: "you cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset. Please contact the dataset owner to request access"

• Went into workspace A and added view permissions to the dataset for end user X

The report in the app now loades successfully for the end user.

I'm not sure what the difference is. We did not experience the "Something went wrong Unable to load the model" error.

I don't know if it is worth noting that both workspaces are on our premium capacity.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @matDutch,

I have a clarification question - in the APP in workspace 2, do you have permissions for the user in question there?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

Yes. The user has the viewer role in the APP workspace & in workspace 2. If the user goes to ''Apps'' he sees the dashboard, but when he open the app/report he got the error "Something went wrong Unable to load the model"

If I assign him the contributer role in workspace 1 (dataset), the error disappears and he is able to see the data in the app/report, but we don't want to give end-users contributer role. So the issue is that the user CAN see the APP or report in the workspace but is not able to see the data. 

Hey @matDutch ,

I don't see you mentioning it - but are you using RLS?  (Grasping at a straw there.)   Is this Direct Query or Import (or something else)?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @collinq 

No we don't use RLS. And this is Import data.

hey @matDutch ,

Well, I was hoping that this was related to RLS or the data itself.  I think the issue is the cross-sharing.  I found this article that has Considerations and Limitations that seems to indicate they need build access to the dataset.  (Exactly what you do NOT want to do.)

I say that based on this sentence:

• As an app publisher you have to make sure that your audience has access to datasets outside of the workspace. Otherwise, users will encounter issues when interacting with your app: reports won’t open without dataset access, and dashboard tiles will show as locked. Also, users won’t be able to open the app if the first item in its navigation is a report without access to the dataset.

Which I found on this page:  Intro to datasets across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

This one might be helpful as well:

Control the use of datasets across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @collinq Thank you! I have read it as well, im just wondering how others set this up as i haven't found the right solution.

For the test i assigned him the Build role and he is still not be able to see the data. So i don't know what i'm doing wrong here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors