Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LeonP

Set Dataset Permissions for Entire Organization through API

We have a workspace containing datasets that should be available for the entire organization to read and to build their own reports on. Since the content updates frequently we are using DevOps CI/CD pipelines to keep the content up to date.

I want to use the REST API to set ReadExplore permissions to these datasets for the entire organization.

According to the documentation you should be able to set the principalType to "None" to grant access for the entire organization.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/put-dataset-user-in-group#principaltype 

However, when I test this call in Postman I get an error:

Body:

{
  "principalType": "None",
  "datasetUserAccessRight": "ReadExplore"
}

Error:

{
    "error": {
        "code": "InvalidRequest",
        "message": "API supported only for User or Group principal types"
    }
}

Am I missing something here or is the documentation wrong on this fact?

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Since the content updates frequently we are using DevOps CI/CD pipelines to keep the content up to date.

That is not really related to the app permissions.  You can set these once when you publish the app. No need to do this via API, or to update this whenever your content changes.

I am not talking about APP permissions, I'm talking about DATASET permissions

In your AD find PDLs that cover your entire audience. Add these PDLs to the dataset permissions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors