Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Service refresh differences between old and new Power BI

With the pending retirement of the old O365 Power BI, I have been working on getting customers transferred over to the new Power BI 2.0. One thing that I have run into and wanted to see if anyone else had come across was with how the Service attempts to refresh data.

The scenario is simply this, Excel spreadsheet using Power Query stored in SharePoint Online. The Power Queries are all to Azure SQL DB. I can Connect this to the new Power BI 2.0 Service no problem but here is where I am seeing differences. One of the Power Queries uses an EXEC SQL statement. In the old Power BI, the gateway would not automatically refresh this query but it would refresh all of the other queries. With the new Power BI, I get an error that (paraphrasing) "one of the queries does not support automated and thus I am not going to attempt to refresh any of them".

Has anyone else come across this?

We are working on reengineering the query to not have to use an EXEC statement but I was surprised by the difference in how the old and new Power BI refresh seems to handle unsupported queries. The old way seemed much more logical, refresh the queries it could refresh but not the ones that it could not.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors