Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

josem

Service cannot reach gateway Status code: BadRequest

I installed on-site data gateway successfully and after installing, I logged in to register gateway but I got the message:   The service cannot reach the gateway. I can confirm that I can access internet from this server (via proxy server) and all ports are open.

Full error message below:

The service cannot reach the gateway.
Request error: Id: 'ddfbb5c2-985c-4638-9bc6-a6dbf6a52e51', Status code: 'BadRequest', Timestamp: '08/10/2016 06:32:28 +00:00', ErrorCode: 'DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError', Detail: ''
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsyncRetry>d__a.MoveNext()

2 REPLIES 2
josem

I have successfully installed On-premises data gateway but after installation, I logged in to register Gateway and during configuration, I got the message: The service cannot reach the gateway."   Complete error message is below:

The service cannot reach the gateway.
Request error: Id: 'ddfbb5c2-985c-4638-9bc6-a6dbf6a52e51', Status code: 'BadRequest', Timestamp: '08/10/2016 06:32:28 +00:00', ErrorCode: 'DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError', Detail: ''
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsyncRetry>d__a.MoveNext()

@josem

According to the official documentation Troubleshooting the On-Premises Data Gateway:

Error: Power BI service reported local gateway as unreachable. Please restart the gateway and try again.

At the end of configuration, the Power BI service will be called again to validate the gateway. The Power BI service does not report the gateway as live. Restarting the windows service may allow the communication to be successful. You can collect, and review, the logs as mentioned above to get more details.

So please update the gateway into latest version, restart the gateway and try again. Following is how we can restart the gateway from the command prompt:

1. On the machine where the enterprise gateway is running, launch an admin command prompt.
  2. Use the following command to stop the service.
    net stop PBIEgwService
  3. Use the following command to start the service.
    net start PBIEgwService

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors