Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karun_r
Employee
Employee

Service account credentials for data set refresh

I have a dataset that I am trying to refresh using my personal organization account. Recently I lost access to one of the servers and I was provided with a service account which had access on that VM. So, when I tried to enter those credentials in the Schedule Refresh page in Power BI service, I got an error saying that Login failed and no other information was provided.

Are service accounts not allowed for dataset refresh in Power BI service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@karun_r If I read this correctly, I would suggest you go to the datasource you set up on the gateway and refresh the credentials there to the new service account. This assumes you installed the On-Premises Data Gateway, and NOT the personal version. If you installed the personal version, and your access to he server where you installed the gateway is revoked for that user account, I don't see that working in any scenerio unless permissions are granted back... Or you move the personal gateway to a different machine you have access to.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@karun_r If I read this correctly, I would suggest you go to the datasource you set up on the gateway and refresh the credentials there to the new service account. This assumes you installed the On-Premises Data Gateway, and NOT the personal version. If you installed the personal version, and your access to he server where you installed the gateway is revoked for that user account, I don't see that working in any scenerio unless permissions are granted back... Or you move the personal gateway to a different machine you have access to.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes that is exactly what I did. I reconfigured the gateway on the machine with the credentials of the service account and the refresh is happening again now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors