Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Service Report Differs from Desktop app - null rows

I know there was an issue in June with the NULL field and not being calculated properly, but it seems to still exist, at least in the service. 

I have the following M code in a table:

let
    Source = ARALTADR,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Customer Number] = "BED100" or [Customer Number] = "BED200")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Customer Number", "Alternate Address", "Pool Facility Codes"}),
    #"Filtered out nulls" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each ([Pool Facility Codes] <> null)),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Filtered out nulls", {"Pool Facility Codes"}, tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes, {"FacilityCode"}, "tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes", JoinKind.LeftAnti),
    #"Expanded tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes", {"FacilityCode"}, {"FacilityCode"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes",{"Customer Number", "Alternate Address", "Pool Facility Codes"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns1"

The third row is removing nulls from a text field. In the desktop app (June 2019) it works fine, but when I publish to the service, that filter is being ignored and is returning all records.

They clearly show as null in the Power Query editor on the desktop. 

20190718 08_23_37-PBID Integrity Check - Accounting Modules - Power Query Editor.png

I changed my query to this, which moves the null filtering after the join (less efficient, but wanted to test it)

let
    Source = ARALTADR,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Customer Number] = "BED100" or [Customer Number] = "BED200")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Customer Number", "Alternate Address", "Pool Facility Codes"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Other Columns", {"Pool Facility Codes"}, tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes, {"FacilityCode"}, "tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes", {"FacilityCode"}, {"FacilityCode"}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded tblBBBPoolFacilityCodes", each ([Pool Facility Codes] <> null) and ([FacilityCode] = null)),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{"Customer Number", "Alternate Address", "Pool Facility Codes"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns1"

And the service still ignores the <> null filter.

I finally applied the text type again to the Pool Facility Code field above and that caused it to work correctly in the service. I thought this was all resolved last month?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @edhans ,

Can you please share a sample file for test? I can't reproduce this on my side.
In addition, have you try to filter with other keywords?(e.g. " ", "")
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

It goes to my SQL server, so not sure how I can provide a set of sample data. I would be glad to PM you the file if desired, but without the backend database, not sure how that would work.

I am 100% sure it isn't a "" or " " issue, because by simply setting the type to text (it is already text) fixes it, which is reminiscent of the other null bug that we had last month that is you reapplied the same data type to the field, subsequent handling of NULL worked correctly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans ,

Maybe you can open a support ticket to report and get better support for this:

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors