Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CRamirez
Advocate II
Advocate II

Service Auto-Sorting visual incorrectly

I am having trouble with the service automatically changing the sorting on certain visuals regardless of preset, saved, or structured sorting done on the Desktop or Service. On the desktop in my Date table my QTR field is sorted by a QTR_num column which it is sorted by. I have also sorted this visual using the elipses to specifically select 'sort by QTR'. The visual works fine on the desktop and never re-sorts itself or changes sorting.

The problem is on the Service for some reason, no matter how I sort the visual, once I switch back to 'Reading' mode the visual auto-sorts to a different field. I've re-saved the visual with my desired sorting multiple times, I've tried republishing the whole report multiple times, nothing is working.

View on the desktop (displaying correctly):

sort-desktop.png

After publishing to the Service (change occurs?):

sort-service-error.png

Go into "Edit report" to try to force visual to sort correctly:

sort-service-fixattempt.png

I click "Save" and then once I select "Reading View" the visual goes back to the incorrect sorting:

sort-service-erroragain.png

Why wont Power BI service recognize the way the visual should sort? I'm at my wits end trying to fix this and it is occurring on multiple visuals.

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest creating a Sort By Column in your data model. This will then always allow your data to be sorted correctly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ

There is a sort by column as well in my data model that I'm sorting by. For some reason the Service is automatically selecting a different sorting method in the visualsort-selection.PNG

It is automatically selecting the 'Sort By ___ Sales Amt' field which I do not have selected anywhere while on the desktop. 

HI @CRamirez,

Have you try to sort by column feature to specific 'qty' column as sort order of 'amount' column?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking me. I am trying to specifically sort by column 'qtr' which is set as my sorting method on the desktop both in my data model as well as on the visual.

Could you clarify your question please? Thanks for responding

HI @CRamirez,

I just means you can try to setting amount column as the sort order column of qty column.(normally column use itself as sort order column)

12.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors