Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SEACHAD
Helper I
Helper I

Separate credentials for each workspace - Security issue

I have 2 workspaces on Power BI service. They are using the same report that uses a ODATA source (Microsoft management API) and I need to have in each one different credentials because are data of different companies. 

I don't need to use any gateway

I configure the two datasets with different users from different companies (tenants). Initially it does the logging process with microsoft correctly. But, when I refresh the two workspaces load the data using the same credentials.

However, that same report uses the azure cost connector and that one works perfectly.

It is an important security problem because a client can see the data of another company

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
pvravestein
Helper I
Helper I

ok. nevermind. My bad.  This is all due to our VPN connection. I disconnect from VPN and everything starts working again. very strange.

pvravestein
Helper I
Helper I

Did you find a solution here? I had 5 different companies working for some time but after adding last company (to intune datawarehouse) the credentials used for the last company are now active for all other companies as well. So all companies have the same data?   And this is not the first time I run into this problem,

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SEACHAD ,

Please configure Row-level security (RLS) in Power BI Desktop to have a try and then republish to Service.

The report is using the same credential and that they viewed is the same one. For this situation, it is a best solution to try RLS. It can be used to restrict data access for given users. You could use the username() or userprincipalname() DAX function to implement dynamically.

Please reference:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 

Power BI Row-Level Security And Where To Filter 

Can you use GROUPS with Power BI Row-Level Security (RLS)??? 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank very much for your answer, but this solution will no solve my problem.

Surely I have not explained my problem well.

I have created a report on powerbi desktop that, among other data sources, connects to the Microsoft management API and also uses the Azure cost connector.

I have created two diferent workspaces, Company A and Company B and I have uploaded the report to the Power BI service

In each of the workspaces. I have configured the credentials for the management API data source with a different user corresponding to each company (workspace company A -> user@companyA.com and for the workspace of company B -> user @ companyB.com) as well as the tenant (parameter) and the user corresponding to each one in the cost connector data source.

I have created an application for each of them.

The objective is to see in each application only the information corresponding to each of the companies.

Now when I update the datasets in the company A application I see the cost data of company A (cost connector) and, for example the user data (API management) of company A, perfect.

But in the application of company B I see the cost data of company B but the azure users data of company A?

How is this possible if I have configured the access credentials of a user from a different company in that data source?

Thank you

Luis

Hi Seachad, Could you solve this? I have the same error and I don't know how to solve it

Hello Manuela
Finally I changed the aproach and I access to the APIs with and external aplication developed in python and its otputs are loaded into powerbi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors