cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
aliahmad Helper II
Helper II

Self service best attained with apps or workspaces?

Hi,

 

I have noticed that when I am in a workspace I can build BI reports on a dataset in the browser. Our long term goal is to teach this to our users.

 

Imagine that we have 2-3 developers that create dashboards that cover 80 to 85 percent of reporting based on some data, and then the remaining 15% will be covered by the users themselves through drag-and-drop.


We don't see it as feasible to have them connect to datasets through Power BI desktop, but building graphics / tables on a dataset in the online service seems more feasible. 

 

Can this be done in apps? Or do we have to make per say a "Marketing" workspace, put the dashboarsd there with the corresponding datasets and this is how we share content?

 

Any best practice tips on this? Do you have one large DEV and TEST workspace and then PRD workspaces seperated in business units?

 

Thanks for any responses.

 

Best,

 

Ali A 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aliahmad Helper II
Helper II

Re: Self service best attained with apps or workspaces?

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer 

 

Thanks for responding! I am reading through that as we are having this conversation here, but I think I have found out that you have to give access to the workspace if I want users to build themselves...this is a long term goal, but seems like apps is the way to go for now.

 

Thank you again!

 

Best,

 

Ali A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Self service best attained with apps or workspaces?

@aliahmad If you need your users to build, then it is likely they need to be part of a workspace. But Apps are the way to go from a wider sharing perspective. In general, I think you'd get a lot of value from taking a look at the "Planning a Power BI Enterprise Deploymnet" whitepaper found here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepapers


Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
aliahmad Helper II
Helper II

Re: Self service best attained with apps or workspaces?

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer 

 

Thanks for responding! I am reading through that as we are having this conversation here, but I think I have found out that you have to give access to the workspace if I want users to build themselves...this is a long term goal, but seems like apps is the way to go for now.

 

Thank you again!

 

Best,

 

Ali A

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors