Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Self service best attained with apps or workspaces?

Hi,

I have noticed that when I am in a workspace I can build BI reports on a dataset in the browser. Our long term goal is to teach this to our users.

Imagine that we have 2-3 developers that create dashboards that cover 80 to 85 percent of reporting based on some data, and then the remaining 15% will be covered by the users themselves through drag-and-drop.

We don't see it as feasible to have them connect to datasets through Power BI desktop, but building graphics / tables on a dataset in the online service seems more feasible. 

Can this be done in apps? Or do we have to make per say a "Marketing" workspace, put the dashboarsd there with the corresponding datasets and this is how we share content?

Any best practice tips on this? Do you have one large DEV and TEST workspace and then PRD workspaces seperated in business units?

Thanks for any responses.

Best,

Ali A 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer 

Thanks for responding! I am reading through that as we are having this conversation here, but I think I have found out that you have to give access to the workspace if I want users to build themselves...this is a long term goal, but seems like apps is the way to go for now.

Thank you again!

Best,

Ali A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous If you need your users to build, then it is likely they need to be part of a workspace. But Apps are the way to go from a wider sharing perspective. In general, I think you'd get a lot of value from taking a look at the "Planning a Power BI Enterprise Deploymnet" whitepaper found here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepapers

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer 

Thanks for responding! I am reading through that as we are having this conversation here, but I think I have found out that you have to give access to the workspace if I want users to build themselves...this is a long term goal, but seems like apps is the way to go for now.

Thank you again!

Best,

Ali A

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors