Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Self Service report in power BI services

I was asked to create a self service view or report where it can have column selector i.e client can pre-select columns they want and download it as csv or Excel with the records/data dump as well as if statistics or chart can be use to analyze that pre-selected columns as their dashboard.

Is this possible in Power BI services? Someone claims that it can be done with paginated reports and Analyze Excel. Is it true?

Any ideas please

4 REPLIES 4
dj8830
Regular Visitor

Have you solved this
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

it depends on how much data they want to export?  you can create a self-serve solution in power bi using the personalise visuals feature with perspectives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kvxj_d6QQ

also make sure you understand the limitation that comes  with exporting out of power bi and is this the right solution?  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have watch the video but that is not what i was looking for.

What my requirement is that - my client will see all fields in a column selector and they can drag any fields that want in the canvas where later they can download with the data and visual as well.

It is just like when on is building report in ssrs using wizard, you drag fields to row or column then it will produce a table or matrix. That process feel of drag and drop is what the user want.  

The personalise visuals does offer a drag and drop experience but its not straight forward as you mention it.   

You can also just give a user access to a dataset in a workspace and they can use the dataset to create their own reports, use the dataset to drag and drop fields onto the canvas from the dataset and then export the data  from the visual. 

They can export the visual as a pdf or power point, but you cannot export the visual out any other way, and there are limits as I said as to how much data you can export out.  

Maybe it makes more sense to do it in excel?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-analyze-in-excel

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors