Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

odraode
Frequent Visitor

Self Service Reporting with Row Level Security (RLS)

Hello everybody,

this is my scenario: I have a complex semantic model in Power BI with RLS set by geography. I have built a base set of reports to on this.

Now I would like to let some key users build their own reports on the model. But they have to build reports seeing data only about their geographical area (so under the RLS policy I've created).

To let them build reports they have to be Administrators of the workspace where the model is deployed but if they are administrators (and not members) they bypass RLS. Am I missing something?

So there is no way to let users build reports under RLS? Please note, I am saying only to build reports... not modifying the model, add data sources, create dax measures, ecc. The only way to achieve this is to import the model on an SSAS Tabular (and so physically separate it from the .pbix)?

What if I give them a .pbix that is connected to my semantic model already deployed in Power BI Service?

Thanks a lot! 

6 REPLIES 6
justinzachary
Frequent Visitor

This seems like a fairly large over look on the part of power bi product team.  The beauty of power bi is to be able to build reports, but if you can't use row level security, then you can't allow users to build their own reports.  

#fail.

Hi there

This can currently work with the new App Experience

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Lorelai
Frequent Visitor

Hi @odraode,

were you able to solve this?

I am looking for a solution for that too...

I saw that the only way by now is to build it into an Analysis Services database with RLS using the same  windows domain user than Power BI.

Somebody knows if it is the only way?

Hi there

I think that this will be coming to the new App Workspaces experience, but I am not sure if it is working currently.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, as far as I understand it currently if the user is a member of the App Workspace, they will see all the data.

I cannot think of any work around currently.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors