Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rode
Advocate II
Advocate II

Selective report sharing within an organization

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a report within an organization.

This report is composed by four sections: each of them must be used by a specific target of people of this organization. Anyway, the dataset and the measures are the same for each section, so there is a unique report.

What are your suggestions regarding the sharing?

- If I create four different dashboards I should divide the master report into four different report, each one for a section (in order to deny to the users to access to other sections)

- I think that the same will be If I share with four different groups

- Could the right option be the content pack opportunity?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rode One centralized model to support many reports is absolutely the best way to go. The vast majority of my recomended solutions revolve around implementing a single/few tabular models for scaling out corporate reporting efforts. This also gives you the ability to use the Live Connection and removes the need to manage refresh schedules.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@rode This sounds like a good use case for Row Level Security. Depending on the data source, and connection method, you would apply it in the Power BI Desktop or SSAS model.

This article explains dynamic row level security and could also be implemented in the Desktop alone.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer and thank you for your reply.

I don't think that this is the right solution: I already use RLS, but it allows the users to see a piece of data. They cannot deny a user to see a specific piece of report (that's my need!).

Thanks,

Regards.

@rode You are correct. I missed the key piece.

My thoughts are this, as there is no way to conditionally hide report pages themselves.

I would break out the reports into seperate pieces.

The main piece would be a single report that has all the common or shared parts for all the groups.

Then individual reports for each group

This would remove any potential duplication of report pages and be easier to manage down the road.

I wouldn't go the Content Pack route as those are eventually being deprecated. And I don't see how that resolves the issue. App workspaces / sharing apps would be the new way to share out content.

The key problem here is measure definition: I don't want to define a measure as many times as the number of sections. In order to achieve this aspect the solution that I see is to migrate the dataset to Analysis Services Tabular Model in order to use DAX on that and import it directly into Power BI reports (that of course will share the same dataset as well).

@Seth_C_Bauer do you agree?

Thanks!!!

@rode One centralized model to support many reports is absolutely the best way to go. The vast majority of my recomended solutions revolve around implementing a single/few tabular models for scaling out corporate reporting efforts. This also gives you the ability to use the Live Connection and removes the need to manage refresh schedules.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors