Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bheepatel
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Security roles unable to load after external guests assigned to the role

Hi everyone -

I recently made a switch to the way we create RLS roles & assign access by taking advantage of the USERPRINCIPALNAME() function and having an Excel file on SharePoint where we add new users.

It works perfectly when I tested it using internal users. But as soon as I add external users to the roles under the "Security" page on Service, I am unable to access the "Security" page again and receive the error message below.

bheepatel_0-1638762222997.png

I published the PBIX file under different names and tested it again and again, and the same things happens - as soon as an external guest is added, I receive the error message above.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @bheepatel 

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM:277255370). This issue has been fixed.

Issue_Desc
Power BI users trying to access the ‘Security’ settings of dataset may see a blank page which will prevent them from accessing\Modifying RLS.
Workaround
Publish the report as a new copy and recreate roles.

You can test to see if the problem is fixed. If there are still problems, please contact us promptly.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bheepatel 

Dynamic RLS works with both internal or guest users.

You need to invite external users as guest users first. You need to invite external users as guest users first. Invitation methods are planned invites and ad hoc invites. Please refer to the following documents for details on how to operate: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The next question is how dynamic row level security (RLS) work with Azure AD B2B. Please refer to the following documents: Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Azure Active Directory B2B - Power BI | Mi...

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti 

The issue is that I am unable to open the "Security" tab when adding users to the roles I created.

The articles above do not help me - I have already followed all those steps and external users have been added to Azure AD.

Hi, @bheepatel 

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM:277255370). This issue has been fixed.

Issue_Desc
Power BI users trying to access the ‘Security’ settings of dataset may see a blank page which will prevent them from accessing\Modifying RLS.
Workaround
Publish the report as a new copy and recreate roles.

You can test to see if the problem is fixed. If there are still problems, please contact us promptly.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti 

I have tested and the issue seems to have been fixed - thank you! 🙂

Hi, @bheepatel 

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards

Hi, @bheepatel 

Have you tried deleting the report and republishing it? Or try publishing the report in another workspace.

I saw another post with a similar situation to yours, and I hope it helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Service-unable-to-load-RLS-Roles/td-p/2240495 

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors