Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adrianbravo
Helper I
Helper I

Security in Power BI Service

I have a dashboard that i did in power bi service, what can i do for add security RLS without have to do all dashboard again in power bi desktop ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

When you say you built a dashboard, is it really a dashboard, or a report?  Did you publish a Power BI Desktop file first?  If yes to both, then just add the RLS in Power BI desktop and republish the workbook.  All work you did in your dasboard should not be affected.  If you built reports in the service (ie not dashboards), then you will lose the work you have done

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

I don't see what the issue is.  All dashboards are built in the service. You can never build one in the desktop App. Republishing a desktop file will have no impact on your dashboard, assuming it was a desktop file that you published in the first place

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

When you say you built a dashboard, is it really a dashboard, or a report?  Did you publish a Power BI Desktop file first?  If yes to both, then just add the RLS in Power BI desktop and republish the workbook.  All work you did in your dasboard should not be affected.  If you built reports in the service (ie not dashboards), then you will lose the work you have done

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Yes, firts i built a dashboard on power bi service, not in power bi desktop, now i need to add rls, but i dont know if i have to do a dashboard again in power bi desktop.

@adrianbravo as @MattAllington said. The RLS feature has moved from the Service to the Desktop. So you will need to re-create the report in the Desktop, add RLS, and re-publish.

If there is any doubt, you can click the "..." next to your data set in the Service, click "Security" and you will see this message:

RLS.JPG

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank's, i knew it, but i wanted to find another way for no rebuild a dashboard in power bi desktop.

I don't see what the issue is.  All dashboards are built in the service. You can never build one in the desktop App. Republishing a desktop file will have no impact on your dashboard, assuming it was a desktop file that you published in the first place

Yes, you're right, only in power bi service we can build a dashboard, sorry, then is about report, what can i do if my report was build in power bi service and i want to add rls ?

But without rebuild in power bi desktop.

Sorry for my english 😞

@adrianbravo wrote:

sorry, then is about report, what can i do if my report was build in power bi service and i want to add rls ?

But without rebuild in power bi desktop.

You can't - unfortunately.  Look at my tips for getting started with Power BI here http://exceleratorbi.com.au/top-10-tips-getting-started-power-bi/

Tip 1 - do it in Power BI Desktop, not the service - for this very reason.  I realise that is too late for you now.

@MattAllington I'm assuming Dashboard = Report and that not everyone is "hip to the lingo" and that's what is meant. Agreed though, Dashboards are Service only components and what you say is true.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors