Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Security feature disappears and/or throws error after initial creation/upload

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I publish  a dataset and populate the security roles with members.  I save and close the menu.   Shortly thereafter, if I try to return to the Security feature, in some cases the word "Security" is no longer present, and in most cases, when I try to open it, it throws an error "Something went wrong...".

The roles still work, but the only way to modify the membership is to completely delete the dataset and republish.  Then the issue simply repeats itself after the initial membership is added.  

This does not happen to all my datasets with security added, just some.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have verified that the problem is related to the total number of members entered into any combination of security roles.  I was not able to determine the limit, but I was able to solve the problem by using Office 365 distribution groups and entering those into the security roles, rather than entering a list of users.   

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi swise001,

I just tested the role function at my side, with Power BI Desktop and Power Bi service together, and this feature works. I didn’t encounter any issues when manage it.

As you mentioned this is not happening with all your detaset, so could you please share more details about the dataset with issues?

When saying “security” is no longer present, do you mean the “security ” tab under Power Bi desktop, or the Security option under the dataset right click list of Power BI service?

If this is under Power BI desktop, then please enable the Tracing log under:

File->Options and settings->Options->Diagnostics, see:

19.PNG

If this is happened under Power BI service, then we might need to take use of Fiddler to help troubleshooting:

Fiddler Web Debugger Tool

Regards

Roles in the Security tab are working fine for me to.  This issue occurs when I try to modify or return to the security tab after the initial publish.  

I've included some screenshots

I am able to successfully enter my role membership after the initial publish.  However, when I return to the dataset (as pictured below) the word security has disappeared from the menu.  
Picture6.png

Typically, refreshing the browser window will bring the Security option back.   

Picture7.png

However, when I try to access the security tab at this point, it generates an error.  This dataset will continue to throw this error despite all my efforts to overwrite it or refresh it.  The only solution I've found is to completely delete it, and republish.   Importantly, the roles and report still work, I am just not able to modify or access the security settings any more.  
Picture8.png

This tends to happen with my larger datasets, but as I said, it's not happening to all of them.  Strange behavior, and I welcome any advice or suggestions you might have.  I have also opened a ticket with the Power BI regarding the same issue.  

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

This error seems to be related to the either the total number of members placed in roles.  I have over 1000+ members across 4 or 5 roles and it almost always throws an error (as described above).  However, if I reduce the role membership to less than 10.  It seems to be working fine.  

Has anyone identified what the cutoff might be for total number of members?  I may have to start adding members 5 at a time, until I find what this number might be. 

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have verified that the problem is related to the total number of members entered into any combination of security roles.  I was not able to determine the limit, but I was able to solve the problem by using Office 365 distribution groups and entering those into the security roles, rather than entering a list of users.   

Hi swise001,

Apologize for the late response.

I understand your issues, but can't reproduce it.

I will discuss this with others, and if any further update, will post back.

Regards 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors