Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Security concern on exporting data from Power BI report with Direct Query

Hi,

I have a question regarding exporting data from a Power BI report made under direct query. We have some security concern over our data so we are using direct query option to develop our reports. As the direct query option does not store any data in the report i have a question that how it export data to Excel/ CSV? Does this imply anyone who get the access to our reports can export data?

Regards,

Maddy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid that you have a little misunderstand of Direct query and export data option.

If we could create the visual, we should export data from the visual. 

Though we use direct query, it seems like that use T-SQL query to get the data, so we could export the data of the visual. 

If you consider security, I'll suggest you could disable the option Export data in Power BI Service.

disable the option for export.PNG 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid that you have a little misunderstand of Direct query and export data option.

If we could create the visual, we should export data from the visual. 

Though we use direct query, it seems like that use T-SQL query to get the data, so we could export the data of the visual. 

If you consider security, I'll suggest you could disable the option Export data in Power BI Service.

disable the option for export.PNG 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for the reply. Actualy we cannot disable that option in the Admin Portal as we are using Power BI Live Connection (Power BI datasets) . So far what we have done is that disabling data export option in the report.

pbi.PNG

Now some users have requested they need to export data from the reports.

Thanks for the explanation. It is clear that it doesnt store data in the report. Just querying the database to get data.

Regards,

Maddy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors