Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chienim
Frequent Visitor

Security aspect: Direct Query vs import

Hello,

Recently I'm playing Power BI with data and reports,

This is a general question:

From Security point of view, is there any advantage or disadvantage, between using DirectQuery or Import?

What I mean is I understand when using import security can be filtered at Power BI level,

and if use DirectQuery security setting goes to Data Source level,

but cannot see further if there's any functional difference between those 2(in security).

Anyone have any best practice or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@chienim

As you said, using import security can be filtered at Power BI level since the data has been loaded into Power BI Desktop. And for direct query, the security is controlled on data source side. There's no other functional different on security aspect. For choosing direct query or import, you need to consider the data amount (1GB limit for dataset size) and refresh frequency. Please refer to a blog below:

Power BI – Live connection vs. Import, comparison and limitations

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@chienim

As you said, using import security can be filtered at Power BI level since the data has been loaded into Power BI Desktop. And for direct query, the security is controlled on data source side. There's no other functional different on security aspect. For choosing direct query or import, you need to consider the data amount (1GB limit for dataset size) and refresh frequency. Please refer to a blog below:

Power BI – Live connection vs. Import, comparison and limitations

Regards,

Taking this question a bit further.  As an admin I would like to prevent end users from importing data directly via the "get data".

1. Is there any way to secure the Import vs. Direct Query functionality?  In other words can I disable "import"?

2. Are there other methodologies for achieving the same end?  In other words can we prevent specific types of data sources at the Power BI level - or (in a simple scenario) do we modify the DB security to prevent direct connection to underlying tables and only allow access to views in a DB or a tab / olap model in SSAS...?

Thanks for any advice around security concerns between developers and users.  Our goal is to give the user as much self-service functionality as possible without constantly "importing" the same or similar data sets in an enterprise implementation.

Thanks again,

Nick

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Is there any way to secure the Import vs. Direct Query functionality?  In other words can I disable "import"?

Has this question been answered in the meantime? 

Would be also relevant for me.

Thanks, 

Bettina 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors