Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Security, Some users should see column A and Some users should not see column A

Hi all,

Just as an example. I have a customer dimension

Name             Address                   DOB                      Type

Fran Holmes     29 Road UK          11/11/85               Green

Ron Guest        30 Road UK          12/10/65               Red

Sophie Throp    30 Road UK         01/08/73               Amber

User 1 is allowed to see all the values

User 2 Is only allowed to see Name and Type

What is the best way of dealing with this issue because its not using the usual Row Level Security?

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

• It’s important to know that in Power BI you cannot do Column Level Security. In this case think of an HR person that should be able to see all the sales data in all regions, but also should be able to see salary level information that sales reps should not have access to. This must be a separate report because in Row Level Security, there is no way to filter out a column like salary level, for instance.
  • The ONLY way you can have the ability to do Column Level Security is in the Tabular model. Doing it is a bit tricky.  To try to put it simply you’d still use the Row Level Security in the manage rows option in Power BI but instead of making a filter based on a certain demographic within a column (Region equals Northeast for example), you’d make a filter in a column such as Salary equals False. This would eliminate that column for the entire report.

Reference: Row, Column and Table Level Security in Power BI

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there any chance that this will get addressed because this is the top thing people seem to ask for?

NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @DebbieE @vanessafvg 

As per my experience, we can create a role in a way that we are allowing the required columns to be shown to the desired person as shown in the below image by making the value of the column as false

NimaiAhluwalia_0-1616011229699.png

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Im not following this. The value of the column is the actual value in each instance, e.g. 11/11/85 so I cant set the value to false. I dont think this would work for the above issue.  

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

how will you identify which users can't see the column?   You can use that condition maybe to set those columns to blank if that condition is met with a calculated column or measures, ... that could be tricky performance wise if a column.  

what security is it using?   

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors