Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Security PBI Pro On-premise

Hello,

We are looking to purchase Power BI Pro licenses in our organisation so that my department can create and share reports and dashboards with other people in our organisation. However we are looking into how to secure sensitive data. Is it possible to prevent users from logging in and seeing reports/dashboards when they are not at the office? I.e., it should only be possible for people in our organisation to log in and see reports when they are in the office/connected to our office network (if you know what I mean - I am not an IT guy). I tried googling around but the documentation around security got real technical real fast so any explanation in layman's terms about how to secure data and keep it on-premise would be much appreciated! We want to avoid for example someone being able to share their login to our power bi service and someone else who knows the credentials but is not part of our company being able to see all the data.

Greetings and thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you'd like to set the limit access to the user (no matter the network difference), example: There's A, B, C person, A & B are the members of your organization (A is outrank of B), and C is out of your organization, if you'd like to set the read or even high access to the report, but set B and C restricted to see nothing. you should refer to the RLS.  (Actually, if you don't give the license to C using a special method, he can't access to your workspace generally)

If you'd like to set the limit access to the user who is out of office (No matter whether he is the employee or not), you might refer to the manage employee internet access  or raise it to the support team for better advice:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you'd like to set the limit access to the user (no matter the network difference), example: There's A, B, C person, A & B are the members of your organization (A is outrank of B), and C is out of your organization, if you'd like to set the read or even high access to the report, but set B and C restricted to see nothing. you should refer to the RLS.  (Actually, if you don't give the license to C using a special method, he can't access to your workspace generally)

If you'd like to set the limit access to the user who is out of office (No matter whether he is the employee or not), you might refer to the manage employee internet access  or raise it to the support team for better advice:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors