Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

devehf
Frequent Visitor

Securely access and display a dashboard from the Service for a wall mounted monitor

We need to maintain company privacy by not publishing our dashboard to the web but still display it to a wall mounted monitor connected to a small computer in the office.

I've read a few posts on the forums re. how to set up access to a dashboard for a monitor mounted like this. But most use cases aren't dealing with private data. This post suggested using a script to log in to the Service as a domain user. What script or other method would you suggest?

3 REPLIES 3

@devehf What is your specific use case? The link you have is really different in that he wanted the dashboard to automatically re-sign in. If you are directly linked to a small computer, you wouldn't really need that requirement.

You don't want to use the web? As in, you don't want to use the Power BI Service or you don't want to use the feature "Publish to Web"?

If you can use the Service, just display the dashboard/report on the monitor and call it a day. You can set up a browser refresh (there a multiple options) if you have a report up that is linked to a direct query source. Or schedule it after you refresh the dataset. In any case, this seems a bit simpler than the link, unless I'm missing something.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Machine needs to automatically sign in for my use case too.

No, the public web is not acceptable. Power BI service is OK.

I think we will end up making our own webpage that uses Power BI embedded and handle the security ourselves some other way.

If the machine has to reboot, we don't want to have to touch anything for it to just go right into dashboard display mode again.

devehf
Frequent Visitor

We ended up creating an account for the lobby machine connected to the wall mounted display.

When the machine reboots, it launched Chrome automatically and uses and plugin to display rotating dasboards on multiple tabs. 

Still having a little trouble with getting dashboards to fit the entire screen. One of them is off center to the left. Thinking that a setting to fit to screen in the Desktop file might not be set correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors