Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Noobtastic_com
Regular Visitor

Secure "Embed"/"Website or portal" with PHP for Client Use

I have searched for a while, and tried a number of recommendations, but cant seem to find an answer that works for me. Hopefully someone here can help.

Here is the scenario:

I have a site where my users register with their own email address (hotmail, gmail, company, etc) and are then able to access reporting inside of my site.

Historically, I have been building bootstrap reporting into PHP pages. The results are nice looking but turnaround time for new reports is less than ideal and the complexity of reports has been increasing.

Enter PowerBI. Not quite as pretty but I can now turn around new reports with a higher level of complexity quite quickly.

Using PowerBI "Embed"/"Publish to web (public)" I have Embedded the report into my PHP page with minor seams (not seamlessly by any means) but I don’t like the risk of exposing the data outside. It also isn't allowing my users to easily download their data.

I tried using PowerBI "Embed"/"Website or portal" but it seems to want the user authenticated in PowerBI. If I signed into my site I could see the embedded report load but if I did an "In Private" session and didn't first log into PowerBI I couldn't see the report. I don’t want to make my users have another method of authentication in order to see the reports.

I have tried putting the report in a "My workspace" and in a custom Workspace. I have also made sure the "Tenant settings" for "Publish to web" are set to "Enabled…".

I did the thing where I create an app, which you then approve to use the data. I wish I could remember where I did that but it also didn’t seem to help.

I activated the "Pro trial" thinking maybe that had something do with it but haven't really gotten any further. Maybe I dont even need the Pro license.

My assumption would be that I could get a code, or code snippet, that would then use a token to authenticate my approved page/site with PowerBI. The report would then render based on the page token/auth, not that of my user (who doesn’t have anything to do with PowerBI).

I am guessing me using PHP might be part of the challenge here but I am sure someone else has been through this.

What am I missing? Is anyone able to help or direct me to an article I missed?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello did you achieve what you wanted to do? I'm currently working on this scenario, I'm interested 🙂

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You most likely want a Power BI Embedded capacity. Should not be a problem using this with a PHP web application.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/power-bi-embedded/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/azure-pbie-what-is-power-bi-embedded

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

That does sound in line with what I have been reading. It sounds expensive and maybe a little more involved than I was expecting. 

My budget is not pretty tight but I would be willing to pay someone to help me get it set up the first time. 

Any takers?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors