Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyC
Helper II
Helper II

Secheduled Refresh Issue - Cannot Set Credentials for Dataset

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Scheduled Refresh for a dataset (small dataset - about 50MB) in the Power BI Service which points to Azure SQL Data Warehouse.  I'm entering the Authentication Mode as "Basic", SQL username and password in the popup box but it just hangs and doesn't authenticate - spinning wheel.  I'm able to connect to the Azure SLQ Data Warehouse service by using "Get Data" so I'm stumped as to what the problem is.

Has anyone else had issue?

Thanks

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
v-caliao-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@AndyC,

Can you reproduce this issue? If you can, please capture the following logs while recreating the issue. 

Fiddler Trace

============

1. Install Fiddler from http://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler/fiddler4 if not already done
  2. Launch fiddler, then click Tools > Fiddler Options
  3. Click the ‘HTTPS’ tab.
  4. Verify the options are set as shown in this screenshot:

111.jpg

5. If fiddler prompts you to trust their root certificates, then click ‘Yes’.

6. Then navigate to repro the problem while fiddler is capturing traffic.

7. After the trace is captured, go to File > uncheck box next to Capture Traffic

8. File > Save > All Sessions and post it here.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi, can I send it to someone?  I'd rather not post it here.  Thanks

Andy

I can enter the credential for the SQL Server if I remove the "secure" part of the connection string, e.g:

mydatabaseserver.database.secure.windows.net will NOT allow me enter credentials on the PBI Service - just hangs

mydatabaseserver.database.windows.net WILL allow me enter credentials on the PBI Service

raa_alencar

I'm having the same problem, stuck in authentication loop for BASIC credential refresh

Greg_Deckler
Super User IV
Super User IV

I would check your firewall and other settings on your Azure SQL DW. Generally, for things like Azure SQL DB and such, there is a check box to allow other Azure services to connect to it. You have to do this, for example, if trying to connect to an Azure SQL DB from something like Azure ML. I wonder if there is something similar going on here since it would be the Power BI gateway in the Service connecting to your Azure SQL DW.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.