Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessegorter
Helper I
Helper I

Scripting and automating credentials to azure synapse and azure sql

Hi all,

I figured this method out to deploy xmla to powerbi.com and also set the credentials automatically even if your datasource is azure sql or dedicated sql pool Synapse.

I read everywhere that it wasn't possible, but  I found a way.

https://jessegorteronazure.wordpress.com/2022/01/20/releasing-power-bi-datamodels-with-xmla/

Let me know if this helps or if you think it should be done differently, afaik this is the only way, but I could be wrong 🙂

Also, is this way even supported, or is this a hack? It seems supported, I am just suprised there is a gatewayid for a azure cloud source.

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jessegorter 

If you know what he's talking about, then you can try it. The method is difficult and I ‘m afraid few people know about this, so do I.
If you can clarify your original needs, maybe we can help you out.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Hi,

this is especially handy in the case you are migrating your azure analysis services models to Power BI Premium. Or when you are considering automatic deployment from a professional development standpoint. Not for self service reporting  needs

Hi, @jessegorter 

If you fully understand this method, try it and succeed, you can share the link in the reply below, and then mark your answer as solution, people in need will search for this method more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors