Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jerish
Helper I
Helper I

Schema update on desktop is not updated on service after it is published

I have a PBI report using live connection to a tabular database which is published and all works fine.

Now after renaming a column (let's say COLA to COLB) in tabular db the column name is correctly updated on the PBI desktop after a deploy and refresh. On the desktop, the report is also modified to use the new column COLB.

Now is the problem, once this report is published to the PBI service, the message confirmed the dataset is replaced but the change is not getting updated in the workspace. The dataset still have the old schema with the old renamed column COLA  still there and no COLB. The report is also failing complaining about COLA not available. I tried refresh of the dataset from PBI service and it still not working. I waited few hours and still no luck. Now I am stuck and any help is appreciated...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Gilbert, the service got updated overnight. Thank you for your response

View solution in original post

Awesome, this was not via publish to web report?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What happens if you download the PBIX from the Service and then connect, does it work correctly?

Power BI Blog

Gilbert, the service got updated overnight. Thank you for your response

Awesome, this was not via publish to web report?

Power BI Blog

Yes. It was a publish to the web but it took a long time on the web to get the schema update. Even after deleting the report and dataset from the web and re publishing multiple times the column name was not updating until I checked overnight.

Hi there,

They do cache the data on the Power BI Service when using the Publish to Web so it can take some time to get updated.

Power BI Blog

I checked this morning and they are updated. Almost 12 hours to refresh???

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors