Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduling error - The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explore

Hi everyone, 

I have a Power BI report that loads data from a bunch of files from a folder using the Folder data source. I am able to refresh it in Power BI Desktop but at the time of refreshing it, manual or automatic scheduled, I am getting the following error;

Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information.
Underlying error message: The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259

I have tested data souces in the Gateway section and all data sources are good to to go. 

I have checked that

- Internet Explorer has Active Scripting enabled on the server where Enterprise Gateway is installed (image attached),

- https://*.powerbi.com is added in trusted sites

-Lastly, I am not running Personal & Enterprise gateway side by side, I have only Enterprise Gateway installed on the box. 

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks
Kaz

IE settings for Active ScriptingIE settings for Active Scripting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your reply, looks like you have given me MS Corporate Support link. 

Updated 21/3/17. I'll go ahead and create a ticket with Power BI Support. It looks like it is a bug and comes into play when we are importing data from HTML files. 

Thanks
Kaz

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
VitHorak
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous 

Hi. Thank you for your post. Yes, it is very frustration because sometimes refresh proceed successful but usually not.

Do you think that your problem could be solved by some updates from Power BI side instead of IE settings?

I tried few changes in IE scripting setting but it seems, that this changes do not affect successful refreshes. 

I have 3 datasources in Power BI Desktop. After couple of transformations I UNION them in one big table. When I try "actualize all" in Power BI Desktop it usually ends with Active scripting error. But when I try to actualize data sources separetly one by one, this process is much more successful! But I really absolutely don't understand why and still this is not 100% successful proces!

Thank you!

EDIT 2020-01-03: 

It seems that the problem can be in to many rows and columns in web table.... But I am just guessing 😞 

I am going to make some changes in web data source to decrease number of rows to import in Power BI Desktop...

It's weird... In Power BI Desktop app anytime while I actualize data source one by one all of datasources actualization end with succes. When I click on Refresh in upper menu and the actualization of all data sources start, the proces fail with Active scripting error. 

Much more stranger is, that after one by one actualization is finished with success when I click on Refresh (upper menu), the process of actualization all of data sources in one step finish with success!!! 

Weird proces:

1. step: click on Refresh in Power BI Desktop (upper menu) - failed with Active scripting error

2. step: click on Refresh data in specific data source (Fields menu - right clck on data source) - finish with sucess

3. step: click on Refresh in Power BI Desktop (upper menu) again - actualization of all data sources finish with sucess !!!!!!

It must be some kind of bug!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VitHorak  it is a bug, a kind of king bug :). Interestingly, the age old remedy of restarting the application also does not work. To me, that's a bigger bug :).

@Anonymous After latest update it seem, taht everything work smoothly. But I don't want to jinx it 🙂

VitHorak
Frequent Visitor

HI,

same problem. I have web site (google sheet as https) as data source with approx 8k rows and 25 columns. In Power BI Desktop and in Power BI Services on web (via on-premise PBI gateway) is the same problem. Sometimes refreshing data from this web finish with sucess but usually failed because the Active scripting error. But active scripting is enabled in IE on my PC as well as on server, where the gateway service is running. We have latest gateway, latest desktop app installed .... 

I don't understand why sometimes the same datasource in the same report refreshed smoothly and sometimes failed!!! 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VitHorak 

I can imaigne the frustration, and this issue was, and appears to still be very temperamental. I'd suggest try fiddling with your IE security zones and trusted website settings. 

As far as I can recall.  I was playing with IE settings until one fine morning the issue disappeared, on its own. 

Sorry, not much of a help.

Thanks

Kaz

sharryw

Hi guys,  I had same issue as you guys, finally figure out what is going on,nothing about gateway version .  if you need fix this , just also download powerbi desktop on gateway server,   web data will refresh sucessfully.

Hello,

I am having the same error on power BI desktop. I have a couple of reports pulling online from another service, all reports execute successfully except a new report that i am trying to pull in that contains thousands of data.

DataSource.Error: The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.
Details:
about:blank

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You get the above error when refreshing data in Power BI Service, right? If so, do you restart Internet Explorer? If the issue still occurs after you restart IE, turn off any anti-virus software and verify that if there are any policies from your IT department blocking your access to information in data sources or Power BI in IE.

Also I would recommend you use other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox to sign in Power BI Service and check if  you can refresh dataset successfully.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using Chrome, and get this error while I try to trigger a manual refresh in Power BI Service from Chrome. I have tried restarting Chrome, as well as my system. I have also tried to delete the dataset and subsequent reports and published the report, but no luck. 

The screenshot of IE site settings, in my original post, was from the box where Enterprise Gateway is installed, and those settings are no different than my computer.

I'm going to check with IT if there are any controls though.

Thanks

Kaz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I had IT look at the connectivity between the machines, and there's no problem there. I am lost now

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you install the latest version of Power BI Gateway from this link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/ ?

And do you get error when refreshing other datasets? What calculations are contained in this problem dataset?  I would recommend you that delete this problem dataset and re-republish PBIX file to Power BI Service, then check if the issue still occurs.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I have upgraded to the latest version of gateway and this problem still exists. any ideas how to resolve this?

Updated 9/3 1634:

Including log entries;

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2017-03-09T08:10:56.4466393Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 92e76032-0685-4d59-8a35-a1c4b74d7c4b 35b60f3a-5dbb-ae98-fc35-6f770c13fd29 MGEA 1207b84d-5232-6511-7779-0ac379966677 1FB71038 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Non-gateway exception encountered in activity scope: Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupValueException (0x80004005): The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupResource.TranslateException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupResource.StartEvaluationAndGetResultSource[T](Int32 timeout)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.EvaluateAndGetSource[T](String commandText, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, MashupParameterCollection parameters, String resultTransform, Boolean forColumnInfo, Boolean executeAction)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior commandBehavior, MashupCommandBehavior mashupCommandBehavior)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.MashupCommon.MashupUtils.ExecuteReaderAsync(DbCommand command, ExecuteQueryRequest queryRequest)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass1b.<>c__DisplayClass21.<<ExecuteAdoQuery>b__19>d__23.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__a`1.MoveNext()
DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2017-03-09T08:10:56.4466393Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 92e76032-0685-4d59-8a35-a1c4b74d7c4b 35b60f3a-5dbb-ae98-fc35-6f770c13fd29 MGEA 1207b84d-5232-6511-7779-0ac379966677 735E0535 [DM.Pipeline.Common.TracingTelemetryService] Event: FireActivityCompletedWithFailureEvent (duration=192491, err=MashupValueException, rootcauseErrorEventId=0)

Thanks
Kaz

Hi @Anonymous,

I would like to suggest you to submit a support ticket:

Get support.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hola, estoy presentando el mismo error, pero al interntar ingresar parece que el tiket estuviera bloqueado 😞 :(.

Compartirias conmigo la solucion por favor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your reply, looks like you have given me MS Corporate Support link. 

Updated 21/3/17. I'll go ahead and create a ticket with Power BI Support. It looks like it is a bug and comes into play when we are importing data from HTML files. 

Thanks
Kaz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever get a workaround for this?

We just updated to the latest PowerBI Reporting Server and it seems we still have this issue with scheduling data refreshes for HTML files. 

Hi,

Is this really solved? I'm having the same issue. Have enabled Active Scripting as described but am still recieving the error. Data refresh is fine from PBI Desktop but not via the Gateway. Any other suggestions?

Joel

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're having the same issue with our instance.  Same exact error message.

One of our DataSets is coming from a webservice - using a TimeServer to get a correct time.

Would be nice to know how MS Support resolved the issue.

we are experiencing the issue with scheduled refresh / manual refresh getting data from html pages

the data is returned correctly with the power bi desktop software

but once published - fails to refresh

please help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors