Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

Scheduled refreshes are slow, manual refresh is quick

Hi,

Something I've noticed with all my clients - scheduled refreshes of small datasets can take 10-15 minutes while a manual one takes seconds or a minute. Is there anything that can be done about it? I assume it has to do with queing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Yes that is correct with the scheduled refreshing it will get it as close as it can to the time that you want it to run.

Due to it being used on shared hardware it potentially will take longer to run.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zivhimmel ,

Does this issue have been resolved?We can also use Power Automate to execute an on-demand refresh.

1.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg
Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zivhimmel ,

Based on my research, The reason scheduled refresh takes longer is because PBI smooths scheduled refresh so AS Engine and Gateway is not flooded with request. PBI doesn't do smoothing for on-demand refresh.

Such as if you set scheduled refresh at 9:00 am, it may start at 9:14 am, and end in 9:16 am, so seems it refresh 10 - 15 min, but if execute an on-demand refresh at 9:00 am, it will start right now and may end in only few minutes. This document also mentioned : 

Note also that the configured refresh time might not be the exact time when Power BI starts the next scheduled process. Power BI starts scheduled refreshes on a best effort basis. The target is to initiate the refresh within 15 minutes of the scheduled time slot, but a delay of up to one hour can occur if the service can't allocate the required resources sooner.

If you needs the report be ready by certain time, schedule the refresh ahead of the time or execute on-demand refresh.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Yes that is correct with the scheduled refreshing it will get it as close as it can to the time that you want it to run.

Due to it being used on shared hardware it potentially will take longer to run.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

I am facing the same issue. I can refresh the power bi manually very fast (~5s), but schedule refreshing will consume more than 15mins.
I have tired to install 2 different gateways in 2 identical PC, but the result is still negative. Do you have any suggestion on this issue?
Thanks for your support.

BR,

Jason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors