Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pvarley
Helper I
Helper I

Scheduled refresh switch won't stay on

I have installed the Personal Gateway so I can refresh a dataset on a SQL database automatically. When I enable Scheduled refresh, it will not stay on. These are the steps I follow:

1. Open the Scheduled refresh option under Datasets
  2. Turn the switch under "Keep your data up to date" On
  3. Click Apply
  4. Navigate to a different dataset
  5. Return to the original dataset
  6. Open the Scheduled refresh option, and the "Keep your data up to date" switch is now Off

Why is it turning off, and how can I get it to stay on? The personal gateway status says "online, running." It is installed on a machine that is always on and has an Ethernet connection.

17 REPLIES 17
taxman221
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue- it did not use to happen.

@pvarley wrote:

I have installed the Personal Gateway so I can refresh a dataset on a SQL database automatically. When I enable Scheduled refresh, it will not stay on. These are the steps I follow:

1. Open the Scheduled refresh option under Datasets
  2. Turn the switch under "Keep your data up to date" On
  3. Click Apply
  4. Navigate to a different dataset
  5. Return to the original dataset
  6. Open the Scheduled refresh option, and the "Keep your data up to date" switch is now Off

Why is it turning off, and how can I get it to stay on? The personal gateway status says "online, running." It is installed on a machine that is always on and has an Ethernet connection.

Yes, 4 broken refreshes and the scheduled refresh gets turned off. Which when the gateway PC shuts down after a Windows update is a bit of a pain. Put a last refrshed date & time on one of your report pages and at least your users know if they're looking at old data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever the gateways goes down, the schedule refresh setting is switched off.  I can understand if the refresh fails when the gateway is down but why it has to switch off the schedule set up.  if there are 100 reports how we can turn on schedule for each and every dataset in the event of gateway shut down.   

Is there any fix for this problem. ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did MS came up with any solution to this problem? 

Switching off the schedule when the refresh fails is not a good feature.  Even if that is the case, it should turn on schedule automatically when the gateway is up and the refresh succeeds. 

Hi Mohan,

I was advised that online spaces are better place to set as the data source.

So instead of storing data in your company server locations like sharepoint/cloud will overcome this problem.

Thanks,

Raymond

I too still have this issue, I now have to manually check every single day whether my reports schedule's are on/off, fortunately I don't have that many reports to check but it is still an issue a lot of us are having, the impact will be worse when I have AL and reports are not updating automatically. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

MS has to do something about this.  It is getting worse day by day.  There is no logic why the schedule is permanently disabled when the gateway is down.  

With out knowing the refresh is not successful, users access the outdated data and makes incorrect decision. 

heberpower
Frequent Visitor

I have found that after 4 failed refreshes in a row the scheduled refresh will toggle to Off.  Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In our case it also turns off after 4 fails in a row. Seems like it is a feature rather than a bug, though being able to adjust this option would be great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also having the same issue. Is there any update to wheter this is still a bug to be fixed or if there is a workaround?

I too, have this issue and have not found a solution.  It makes me look bad when my boss' dashboard is out of date, and it is not a viable solution to update all of my datasets manually everyday.

pvarley
Helper I
Helper I

Logging out of Power BI and logging back in seems to have corrected the problem. I'll update the post if it happens again.

This keeps happening to me - almost every 3 days now.  Since the schedule switches to off, I receive no notification that refresh failed so it takes a team member to email me that data is behind.  Turn it on, it stays for a couple days.  I have the new gateway so not that.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Did you try logging out of Power BI and logging back in?

Paul

I'm asked to login regularly so I assume I am logged out however I will try the actual logout process & see if that works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This same thing happens to us... We have tried different accounts to schedule the refresh, different browsers... Regardless, similar to what was mentioned above, the On-Premise gateway will randomly switch off the schedule and the schedule will be stopped.  

The gateway that we are using is installed on a server, so it should remain always on.

We are in the same situation, Power BI still has lots of bugs need to fix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors