Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrewbrick
Advocate III
Advocate III

Scheduled refresh of sharepoint list succeeds, but all data is stripped out

I've built a report that pulls data from multiple sources, one of which is a Sharepoint list (which is a new experience for me).  In Desktop, everything works fine.  I use my organizational account to access the data, and everything works wonderfully.  I can refresh the data, and everything works.

Once it has been pushed to the service, the report is fine.  However, refreshing from the service, while it "succeeds" (i.e. there are no error messages), all data from the Sharepoint list is stripped out -- nothing shows up in the visualizations that use that data source.  It's as if the refresh process found the Sharepoint list, but was unable to retrieve any data.

When I go to the scheduled refresh page and click on Data Source Credentials, there is *always* initially the following error message: "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again."  Out of my 5 data sources in this report, the only one that gets the little spinny wheel is the Sharepoint list.  After a moment or two, the spinny wheel stops, the error message disappears, and I can schedule a refresh.  BUT, if I click on "Edit Credentials" next to the Sharepoint list data source, it *always* comes up as "Anonymous" by default.  (Note that when I added this data source in Desktop, I did not access it anonymously.  I've checked in Desktop, and it is still set to use my organizational credentials to access the list.  It actually fails to access the list [permission denied] if I try to access it anonymously.)  If I change it from "Anonymous" to "OAuth2," that process seems to work, but if click again on "Edit Credentials," the "Anonymous" option is re-selected.  Refreshing from the service after I go through this process results in the loss of the Sharepoint list data in the report.

If I refresh in Desktop and re-publish to the service, everything is fine.

I'm refreshing through a "personal mode" data gateway.

Please help!

Update: Apparently, the data in the list will show up in a report in the service *so long as scheduled refresh is disabled.*  If scheduled refresh is enabled, the list data shows up for a handful of minutes after publishing from desktop, but then it simply vanishes.  I don't have to take any action for this to occur.  I'm not even refreshing from the service.  The data just disappears.  Again, if scheduled refresh is disabled, the list data will stay in place....that is, until I refresh from the service.  This is very bizarre behavior.

6 REPLIES 6
rcpbi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  We also have a report that uses a sharepoint list through a gateway and everytime we setup the refresh, the data is deleted and we are left with a blank report.  On the Desktop the report refreshes fine.

I found that my issue was caused by the different ways the binary (true/false) data type is imported in Desktop and the Service. In desktop, data is imported as either true or false. During a manual or scheduled refresh in the Service, the data is imported as either 0 or -1. In my case, I had a report level filter on one of these columns set to "true", so after a cloud refresh (and true/false was converted to 0/-1), no data matched that filter, giving the impression it had all been wiped out or not imported.

Microsoft has an open bug ticket on this issue.

Thanks @andrewbrick.

Did you find a way to get around this bug?  I tried changing the binary datatype to text, removing all filters and removing all data columns except for a single number column, but I still get no data on the Powerbi service after a refresh.

In my case, I added a custom column based on the binary column:

NewColumn = if ([BinaryColumn] or [BinaryColumn]=-1) then "True" else "False"

I then based my slicers on this column.  This sort of future-proofs the solution, whichever way Microsoft plans to have binary-type data imported from Sharepoint in the future.

If you're not filtering anything, and nothing is coming through after a refresh from the cloud, something else is awry.

Thanks again @andrewbrick .

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andrewbrick,

It seems fine in my test. I would suggest you file a support ticket here.

Scheduled_refresh_of_sharepoint_list_succeeds

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors