Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PraseelNarayan

Scheduled refresh is disabled

Hi ,

I'm getting data from a Webpage which loads fine on Power Bi Desktop. But when report is published to Power Bi Online, I cannot refresh the dataset. 

I get the subjected error message.

This Website is a general website and does not have any username or password. Nor does it have an API key. 

Since the Authenication type is Anonyomous and works on PBI Desktop, I think there might be an issue with Power Bi online?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PraseelNarayan ,

I have tested the method @Burningsuit said, it does not work if you use Web.BrowerConnects()

vchenwuzmsft_0-1636104867166.png

And publish to service. Dataset can configure scheduled refresh after edit date source credentials.

vchenwuzmsft_1-1636105082179.png

if you have tried and success, please mark one post that you think is helpful for you. Anyone have the same problem as you will  find the solution quickly.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PraseelNarayan 

You can install a personal gateway with common sense and this problem will be solved.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2116848&clcid=0x409

You will be able to scheduled refresh after editing the credentials.

vchenwuzmsft_0-1634284323132.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chenwuz-msft This is not a good solution. If my PC is off and the team needs the data, data refresh will not work. If a new Machine is to be setup for sole purpose to refresh the data, this would be an overkill. 

Since the source is Web and not an on prem Machine, should the refresh just work?

Hi @PraseelNarayan ,

I have tested the method @Burningsuit said, it does not work if you use Web.BrowerConnects()

vchenwuzmsft_0-1636104867166.png

And publish to service. Dataset can configure scheduled refresh after edit date source credentials.

vchenwuzmsft_1-1636105082179.png

if you have tried and success, please mark one post that you think is helpful for you. Anyone have the same problem as you will  find the solution quickly.

Best Regards

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @PraseelNarayan 

Yes, using the standard web connector in Power BI/Power Query requires a Gateway to refresh the data when published to the cloud, even if the Web page does not require any authentication.

There is a possible work around.

In PowerQuery ("Transform data" when you connect to the Web Page in Power BI desktop) Change the "source" line, often the first line of the Power Query steps, from " = WebBrowserContents("**your URL **")" to " = WebContents("**your URL **")".

Microsoft's documentation states that:

Web.BrowserContents "Returns the HTML for the specified url, as viewed by a web browser."

whereas

Web.Contents "Returns the contents downloaded from url as binary"

So, depending on the web page you are using, you may see a difference, but in most cases this works fine.

Then publish your Report, and you should be able to schedule refreshing.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit ,

Unfortunately this did not work. I'm getting an error :

Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.

There are no credentials needed here, so really not sure what my next steps should be?

Hi @PraseelNarayan 

As @v-chenwuz-msft has said you can, of course install a Personal Gateway. However I think that all you need to do (if you've used WebContents, rather than WebBrowserContents) is to go to the Credentials part of the Dataset settings...

Burningsuit_0-1634290443779.png

and there Click on "edit credentials" and there set the Authentication Method to "Anonymous"

Burningsuit_1-1634290526854.png

That should allow you then to scredule Refreshing for the web-page in Service.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks @Burningsuit , I will give this a shot and update later today

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors