Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Scheduled refresh grayed out, after four consecutive (transient) failures

I was able to find a few google search results, but none were particularly helpful.  This community generates a lot of noise, and I'm sorry to add to it but I don't think I have a choice this time....

After four consecutive failures, a dataset of mine has had its schedule disabled.  This is something I've observed in the past.

However the odd thing this time is that it isn't allowing me to go back in there and re-enable the schedule.  The option on the settings page is grayed out.  See image:

dbeavon3_0-1669213073139.png

I wish Microsoft would invest some better engineering into this Power BI product.  It could be a really great product, if the U/I wasn't so confusing and hard-to-use.  I'm wondering if there are lots of customers who use a totally different scheduling product and just make calls to a REST api (via XMLA endpoint) or something like that.  If everyone was using an alternative approach, it would explain why the scheduling features in the portal are so terrible, and not being improved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dbeavon3 

Yeah it can be a bit of a challenge!

I find the scheduled refresh to work well, but if I have a dataset that needs to be refreshed at a specific time or can fail every so often I use Power Automate so that I know the dataset will always be refreshing!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @dbeavon3 

I have found sometimes when this happens I have to wait a minute or two and I can then enable the schedule again.

An option that I use is Power Automate to do my refreshes for my datasets. This ensures that it always will run the refresh of dataset even if it has failed previously.

Power BI Blog

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @GilbertQ  

Thanks for the tip.

What finally worked for me is to expand the sections for "parameters", and then "gateway connections".  Once those were expanded, the "scheduled refresh" settings became available again (no longer grayed out).

As in the past, I had to solve this problem in the PBI portal by randomly poking around in the dark....  It is really hard to understand how this stuff makes it past QA testing.  

Given that you are using Power Automate to do refreshes for datasets, perhaps Microsoft decided that it is the best type of approach, and they may want everyone to follow your lead.  Perhaps the normal scheduling settings are not commonly used these days.  Or perhaps the people who use it are already aware of the quirks, and have a lot more patience with this U/I than I do.

Hi @dbeavon3 

Yeah it can be a bit of a challenge!

I find the scheduled refresh to work well, but if I have a dataset that needs to be refreshed at a specific time or can fail every so often I use Power Automate so that I know the dataset will always be refreshing!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors