Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wkolcz
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled refresh ( from remote database ) are greyed out

I published my first report online (I'm still pretty new) and I created a report that is connected to a mysql database and published it to our pro cloud account online. I can view it online and it works fine. Yesterday I updated the data in the database and, on my desktop version, I clicked the Refresh and it worked perfectly. When I go to the online version to Datasets and Scheduled Refresh, all the options are greyed out. 

The current report is pulling for the database so I know it's connected with the correct credentials but I cannot refresh it or schedule a refresh. Any ideas on why? Thank you for any help you can offer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @wkolcz ,

To get the Refresh to work online you will need a gateway to be setup and used by this report online.  First, set up the gateway with the appropriate connections to your local data source (and test).  Then, set that as you Gateway Connection in the dataset sources online (and confirm that the status is green).  Then, schedule refresh will be available to you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @wkolcz 

Have you changed the table structure, table name or column name of the data source?

Whether the original local pbix file can be refreshed  normally on PowerBI Desktop?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

I have not changed any table structures or names in the data source. It refreshes perfectly well in my desktop refresh.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @wkolcz ,

Is your MYSQL local (inside your firewall) or is it in the cloud?  If it is inside your firewall you will need a gateway setup.  Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

Proud to be a Datanaut!

My database is behind a server firewall with the port open for the database. I have created a user for the report that has access. It works in my desktop version without a gateway and does work when I installed a gateway on my desktop but I am not sure why it has a problem getting an update when it has access.

When I posted it to the web originally, was the data from the database downloaded locally to the desktop version prior to posting it and thats why it works online?

Hi @wkolcz ,

To get the Refresh to work online you will need a gateway to be setup and used by this report online.  First, set up the gateway with the appropriate connections to your local data source (and test).  Then, set that as you Gateway Connection in the dataset sources online (and confirm that the status is green).  Then, schedule refresh will be available to you.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors