Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled refresh for web connection failing and reverting to Anonymous

Hi All,

We have a number of web data sources set up to a Rest API that refresh using basic authentication. This works fine with a manual refresh but are failing when set up as a scheduled refresh and when we go back into the data source credentials they look to have reverted back to Anonymous authentication.

The (redacted) error given on the scheduled refresh is:

Message:The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. (Source at https://xxxxx/yyyyy.) Table: zzzzzz.

After the schedule refresh fails we are able to manually refresh again with no issues.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Please check what kind of your data source credential under setting. My credential is Anonymous authentication in the image below.

data source setting.png

In addition, what is your credential when you add the data source in gateway?

gateway.png

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Thansk for your reply. The data source credentials are set to Basic (+ login details) initially, then after the scheduled refresh attempt when I go back to these credentials they have changed to Anonymous.

I've not set this up via a gateway as it is a web connection, would you advise I do so?

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay.

By my test again with livechart API. I could reproduce your scenario.

By confirmed by PG, it seems to be a default behaviour. The Authentication method always reset to Anonymous on the UI after closing the auth dialog. Actually, they would need to be saved somewhere in a service.

So you don't have to mind this reset phenomenon, the refresh will still work fine by my tests for this situation. 

test result.png

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have a similar issue, where my scheduled refreshes for reports that use web service APIs starting failing over this past weekend

And now the scheduled refreshes fail all of the time

Occasionally the on-demand will work, but most of the time it fails

The reason given is the same as mentioned by @Anonymous

My web service API uses anonymous authentication

I am totally at a loss as I believe that something changed in the service recently that caused this

Refreshes work in the desktop for the November release, but when I updated to the December release, they don't work at all, as I constantly get access is forbidden

For now, I backed out of the December release of the desktop

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Did you get a solution for this I am having the same issue.

The Web credentials default back to anonymous and my schedules all fail.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors