Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ellac
Helper III
Helper III

Scheduled refresh for AAS live connection - Improved performance?

I have AAS as my data source and a live connection report published to PBI Service. Imagine that this is quite a huge report with a lot of data, which a lot of people wants to access at the same time, say Monday mornings. Will a scheduled refresh improve the performance of the report? As I've understood it, the scheduled refresh adjusts the automatic refresh of the tiles in the report.

I also have some thoughts on this article and what is says about setting the parameter for allowing/disallowing background cache refreshes. Is that something that is necessary to investigate if I want to schedule the tile refresh of my report?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-be/blog/governance-settings-for-power-bi-cache-refreshes-from-azure...

Thanks in advance!

Ella

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ellac 

To answer your question directly and in general a refresh (whether it is scheduled or not) doesn't have any thing to do with the performance of the report. There is multiple other ways to optimise the performance of the report like incremental refresh if you have a Premium Capacity license.

However if you feel like on Monday morning when the trafic is high because of the refrsh time of the report then you can push the frequency refresh at another time away from the mornings. Remember Live connection keeps the report up-to-date at the frequency of the scheduled time and what it does is refreshing the cache of report and how long it takes that depends on how big is the data that is imported.  

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ellac 

If you are looking at reporting performance, the scheduled refresh will only impact the reports if it is refreshing at the same time people are running reports.

To make reports run faster you would need to ensure you have got a star schema, with only the columns you need. And then finally making sure that your DAX measures are running as fast as possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ellac 

To answer your question directly and in general a refresh (whether it is scheduled or not) doesn't have any thing to do with the performance of the report. There is multiple other ways to optimise the performance of the report like incremental refresh if you have a Premium Capacity license.

However if you feel like on Monday morning when the trafic is high because of the refrsh time of the report then you can push the frequency refresh at another time away from the mornings. Remember Live connection keeps the report up-to-date at the frequency of the scheduled time and what it does is refreshing the cache of report and how long it takes that depends on how big is the data that is imported.  

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanks for an informative answer! 

I tried the scheduled refresh for AAS and live connection, but the reports are still up-to-date even though the dataset hasn't been refreshed after the new data load. Have I missed something or is this solution supposed to work this way?

Thanks in advance!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ellac 

Sorry, what is the exact issue here?

Live connection keeps the report up-to-date as the source, meaning if there was a change at the source then the report will be updated at the frequency level that you applied. Now let's say your report was refreshed at 2:00 pm and the next refresh is scheduled at 2:30 pm. in the meanwhile the source was updated at 2:10 pm and the user played with the report at 2:20 pm then at that point the report will also be refreshed regardless of the scheduled time.

I hope I was on point to explain or answer your question.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi again!

Sorry if I was a bit unclear about my concerns 🙂

Thanks for your explanation! My report is behaving in exactly the same way as you describe. Therefore, my concern is: why is it even possible to set a scheduled refresh in power bi service for a live connection (to AAS)? If the report refreshes either way. 

I've read about the cached queries being updated on a specific frequency (when scheduling a refresh), but how will that impact my report?

Thanks again!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

There is no impact on your report and in fact your report doesn't even need a Gateway since the source is AAS!

aj1973_0-1643396593444.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi again!

Ok, thanks for your answer once again 🙂

I still don't understand then why it's possible to schedule a refresh in Power BI Service for a dataset connected to AAS through Live connection?

ellac_0-1643541524476.png

I've read that it sets how often the cache queries to AAS are updated, which determines how often the tiles in the reports are refreshed, but I still don't understand what that function is really for...

Read more in this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-be/blog/governance-settings-for-power-bi-cache-refreshes-from-azure...

Let me know if you need anything more explained. Thanks in advance!

/Ella

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ella @ellac 

What is that you don't understand, I just don't get it!! all is well described here

aj1973_0-1643546985035.png

The picture you are showing me is the shcedule refresh of the dashboard and not the report. Do you know the difference between a report and a Dashboard!?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Ahh okay it's for dashboards! Missed that little detail... 🙂 And yes, I know the difference!

Thanks for being so patient with me and my questions! And I apologize for any ambiguity... 🙂

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

😁You are welcome

And no worries, no need to apolgize.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors