Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled refresh fails but refreshing the desktop version works fine

Hi everyone,

I have been encountering this issue for quite some time now. We have published about 10 datasets to a group on powerbi.com which are all scheduled to refresh daily all scheduled in the time range of an hour. A lot of the time a couple of the datasets fail to refresh, mostly because of on of the tables, which differ every time and differs between datasets as well. However, when I open our desktop version of the dataset and refresh it manually, it refreshed just fine. Then I publish this one on the powerbi.com group and this datasets scheduled refresh is fine for a couple of days. This means  a lot of manually refreshing unfortunately. Does anyone know what I can do about this or why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
ec78251
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, I updated to the latest version of the gateway and I have the same error in all my databases.. Any updates of this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am observing the same issues. My dataset is refreshing on desktop but It is failing on service. any reason why this is happening.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MJM,

Please check if your have configured data source of the dataset in "Manage Gateway" and also update your gateway to the lastest version then try again.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft

Thank you for your reply. However, we don't need/have a gateway since all of our datasources are in the cloud. So I don't know if this is the problem. Could there be other reasons why this is happening?

Best, MJM

Same issue since this week!

Some of my reports cannot refresh online due to a time out but it is working when i refresh from the desktop version.

Im in a big company and the gateway is managed by another team. Are you sure it is not a global issue from Microsoft Server?

Thank you all 

Following as I'm having the same issue during the last 2 auto-refreshes scheduled last night and this morning.  Nothing has changed in the source files that the error message refers to (different each time), and the refresh works when done manually from Power BI desktop. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kath1 and @ThomasDaSilva

Thanks for responding and I'm sorry you are having these problems as well. If you follow the advise of @v-yuta-msft about the gaeways, does that work for you? I am curious to know, since we don't use gateways..Thanks!

Best, MJM

Thanks for your reply @Anonymous.  I'm also part of a large company and the gateway is managed centrally, but I've left a message on our internal chat forum to ask for help and possible gateway update.  I'll report back if I get anywhere.

prihana
Helper V
Helper V

It could be a timeout issue. Did you check the network stability the Gateway is installed on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors