Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled refresh error

Hi

I have imported an excel report into power bi by copying and adjusting query code in advanced editor. All those querys and connections work fine in desktop version, now when I want to schedule a refresh for this report I get this:

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:
Data source for 1
Data source for 2
Data source for 3
Data source for 4
Data source for 5
Data source for 6
Data source for 7
Data source for 8
Data source for 9
Data source for 10
Data source for 11
Data source for 12
Data source for 13
Data source for "14"
Data source for 15
Discover Data Sources
Query contains unsupported function. Function name: File.Contents

for example:

Query in Data source for 1&2:

let
Source = #"14",

Query in Data source for 14:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("Path to the folder"),

Folder.Files uses long UNC parent folder path ( folder exists in network disk ) and the path is added to gateway. Still no change. I've googled it and as I can understand adding the path to gateway should fix the problem.

Error shows only querys that link source to another query or has source = Folder.Files. Web.Contents and AnalysisServices queries seem to be fine.

Weird thing is the only query I have that uses 

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents

is not listed in the error list "You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:"
and does not appear to be connected with other queryes either.

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You should change all data sources to the same format as below:

let

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("xxxxxxxxxxxxx"), null, true),

It is by default when you load excel file to power bi desktop  whether you use a local disk or a network disk.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

All data sources?

Do you mean I should also change 

let

into  

let

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Source path"), null, true),

Because that doesn't make a lot of sense since the files are not excel files but .txt files.

Only excel file it connects to is 1 query ( which doesnt show in the error ) and it has the same format as you wrote.

At first when I wrote that I recreated an excel file into PowerBI doesn't mean I am acctually linking to that excel file, instead I made querys just like in that excel file. These querys get data from .txt files, analytics cubes and a websource. 

In my first post the error shows in queries from 1 to 15. These querys mostly has source to another query. For example query 1 source is query 14, query 2 source is query 14 and query 14 source is a .txt file that automatically updates every 1h:

let

So since I can't schedule a refresh for example to query 14 that connects to a .txt file that means my other querys that connect to query 14 obiously can't refresh either.

So now I don't understand why the error code says: 

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: File.Contents

while the querys that were listed ( query 1-15 ) in the same error do not contain such function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors