Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled or auto-refresh for desktop version

Hi,

I have created a report in my Power Bi Desktop. I have connected an Excel file from my OneDrive in the Desktop Report. Now I have published the same on Power BI Online and shared that dashboard with other people.

My question is how do i refresh the online dashboard? I can refresh the source (Excel File) on OneDrive but do I need to open Desktop Version Report and then refresh and then publish it every time? Can I refresh Online version directly from excel file without openeing and refreshing Desktop Version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@data@Anonymous,

Option 1:

1. Power BI Service -> Go to Get data -> Choose File -> OneDrive for Business -> Sign in -> Select file (Excel/CSV). Remember file name because it will become a name of Power BI Service dataset.
  2. Power BI Service -> Create -> Report -> Select dataset you've created in #1.
  3. Then you can build your visuals on the report.
  4. Then your dataset will be updated each hour by default.

Option 2:

1. Install Data Gateway on your computer and sign in with your Power BI Service account there.
  2. Then delete your old dataset from Power BI Service.
  3. Go to Power BI Desktop and open your report -> Publish it to Power BI Service.
  4. Then you can go to dataset settings in Power BI Service and set a Scheduled refresh for 8 times per day.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Do you have OneDrive for Business?
  2. Do you have Power BI Pro license?
  3. Do you have admin rights on your computer?
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Yes I do have OneDrive and Power BI Pro. And yes, I do have admin rights for my computer.

@data@Anonymous,

Option 1:

1. Power BI Service -> Go to Get data -> Choose File -> OneDrive for Business -> Sign in -> Select file (Excel/CSV). Remember file name because it will become a name of Power BI Service dataset.
  2. Power BI Service -> Create -> Report -> Select dataset you've created in #1.
  3. Then you can build your visuals on the report.
  4. Then your dataset will be updated each hour by default.

Option 2:

1. Install Data Gateway on your computer and sign in with your Power BI Service account there.
  2. Then delete your old dataset from Power BI Service.
  3. Go to Power BI Desktop and open your report -> Publish it to Power BI Service.
  4. Then you can go to dataset settings in Power BI Service and set a Scheduled refresh for 8 times per day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with first one is that I will have to create the enite report again.

But second solution works! I simply uploaded my original pbix and now I can schedule the refresh through Data Gateway. 

Additional Tip : The same gateway works for Power Apps as well!!

Thanks a lot! 

@Anonymous,

Good to hear that it is optimized for you! 

You are welcome!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors