Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled Refresh security of an OData Source dataset

I have a Power BI Report deployed to the Power BI Service that contains an OData Source. The OData source is a data entity based in D365FO, this data entity contains data across multiple legal entities (companies)

I understand that OData will use AAD to authenticate the user and give the relevant data for that specific user. If a scheduled refresh is set up by a user in Power BI Service, that has access to multiple legal entities will all of the data be stored in the Power BI Service? If it does, and a different user with access to only one legal entity, views this dataset, will they only see the data specific to them, or will they be able to view all of the data available in that dataset? Is authentication checked again to determine their access?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Fundementally all end users will see the same data as the report author. The only way you can get an end users credentials to filter the data they see is by applying row level security to your model in Power BI. The assumption that OData will filter based on a users credentials is not accurate from my understanding.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Anonymous Fundementally all end users will see the same data as the report author. The only way you can get an end users credentials to filter the data they see is by applying row level security to your model in Power BI. The assumption that OData will filter based on a users credentials is not accurate from my understanding.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors